It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Little BRamper question. 

Post Little BRamper question.
Question for any and all...

First, while I can strip a wire, solder, and replace a capacitor on a motherboard, I have no real world experience in circuits after my college physics (which I have all but forgot).

Second, I am looking to control multiple cameras for stereo, stitched, and HDR time lapse.

So, third, is it possible to use something like this ( http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/acat ... dules.html ) on the Little BRamper to sync the triggering signals to 3, 5, or more 40D's. If so, which of these little boards would be best suited to the LBR? And how would one wire it properly (w/o damaging anything)?

FYI: These are some of the boards recommended by Breeze Systems MultiCamera software, so I thought it might work here. ( http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/index.htm )

TIA:
BDU

Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 am

Post Re: Little BRamper question.
BerthaDUniverse wrote:
So, third, is it possible to use something like this ( http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/acat ... dules.html ) on the Little BRamper to sync the triggering signals to 3, 5, or more 40D's. If so, which of these little boards would be best suited to the LBR? And how would one wire it properly (w/o damaging anything)?

FYI: These are some of the boards recommended by Breeze Systems MultiCamera software, so I thought it might work here. ( http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/index.htm )

I don't use the little bramper because I don't shoot one of those funny cameras, but I would imagine not. Those boards require that they're hooked up to a USB host (which the LB presumably isn't - and the ability would be tricky to add as I believe it's running pretty much at the storage capacity of the chip, so even if you could add the hardware to do it, there's no room for the software).

Basically a USB host means some kind of PC or Mac generally. You could do it from a small self contained little unit, perhaps with an Arduino and USB Host shield and some nifty coding, but it'd probably be a bit of a job to get it up and running flawlessly.

Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 am

Kaouthia

If you look at the unit at the bottom of the page, the RLY08 - 8 Channel Relay Module, it is not USB, and is recommended by Breese Systems to aviod problems involved with using USB connections.

The DATA supplied for the RLY08 - 8 Channel Relay Module is as follows:

( http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/acat ... dules.html )

The RLY08 provides eight volt free contact relay outputs with a current rating of up to 1Amp each. It requires a 5v supply and has an exceptionally low maximum current consumption of approx. 100mA with all relays on. The relays are SPCO (Single Pole Change Over) types.

From another thread here on Timescapes (I don't recall which), it was suggested an Opto relay (like some of those listed) might work for multiple (stereo) cameras. I then searched that out and found the Breese site supporting Canons thru the PC port (not USB). See:

http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/release.htm

From this, I thought the bramper might be able to use something the RLY08 - 8 Channel Relay Module as an inline splitter between the LBR and the needed multiple PC-Connectors (N3 type connector).

Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

BerthaDUniverse wrote:
If you look at the unit at the bottom of the page, the RLY08 - 8 Channel Relay Module, it is not USB, and is recommended by Breese Systems to aviod problems involved with using USB connections.

The DATA supplied for the RLY08 - 8 Channel Relay Module is as follows:

( http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/acat ... dules.html )

The RLY08 provides eight volt free contact relay outputs with a current rating of up to 1Amp each. It requires a 5v supply and has an exceptionally low maximum current consumption of approx. 100mA with all relays on. The relays are SPCO (Single Pole Change Over) types.

Yes, but it still requires serial or I2C control. I don't think it's a simple case of flicking a switch to complete a circuit and it fires all the cameras. It still needs something to control it to tell it when to do what. As far as I know the Little Bramper just has a Shutter+ground connection, and a PC sync feed back from the camera to tell the LB when the camera's started taking the shot.

You can control I2C devices with an Arduino, but again, you'd have to build your own device to do this.

Presumably those 4 pins on the board are +5v, ground, SDA (Analogue Pin 4 on the Arduino) and SCL (Analogue Pin 5).

I may be wrong, but I'm sure astronomerroyal will pop along and correct me if I am. :)

In the other thread, I see mention of an optoisolator splitter board. That could work. You could even use that with an Arduino too, have the Arduino read the shutter triggers from the LB and use a bunch of 595 shift registers to 4N25 optoisolators to fire an infinite number of cameras - of course, you'd only be able to get info back to the LB from one of them - but then you could have 'em all go off at the same time, to freeze action from multiple angles, or fire them sequentially with whatever delay you wanted for more of a bullet time type effect.

They're not using the PC sync socket on that link btw (that's what the camera uses to send out a signal to trigger the flash - or in the case of the LB, to let it know when the front curtain's fully open so the LB can do its mathematical magic). They're using the remote shutter socket, the little 3 pin thing below the PC sync port.

Sat May 28, 2011 11:07 am

LBramper will only provide the requisite shutter monitoring on one camera. Any other cameras that you happen to fire alongside will lack shutter monitoring and may very well suffer from serious flicker (assuming you're bulb-ramping). You need one bidirectional feedback loop for each camera, which a simple relay expander will not provide alone.

I'm slowly working on a Stereo Bramper prototype which will sport two properly monitored outputs, but otherwise will have the same features/limitations as LBramper. Not sure if we already discussed this offline. If I ever commit to a PCB, I'll start a thread.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 am