It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 pm

Little Bramper through airports? 

Post Little Bramper through airports?
So I received my little bramper today and bought a plastic storage box for it. First thing my girlfriend says is "that looks like a bomb"

I'm traveling from New Zealand to LA and then Mexico with 7 airports on the round trip. I was planning on taking the little bramper in my travel on luggage and hopefully using it to shoot some airport timelapses while we wait for flights.

Has anyone traveled with the little bramper in their carry on and did you have any issues at security check points?

Thanks for your help guys.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Post Re: Little Bramper through airports?
I've traveled with lots of miscellaneous electronics, many bits I have built myself, and never had any problems.
Worst case scenario, they may take it out and you can demonstrate what it is for them by plugging it into the camera.
Never had problems with checked electronics, but they have looked closely at carry-on a couple of times.

You are likely to run into problems setting up a tripod in airports though, a lot of places outside NZ get pretty anal about that.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:06 am

I've never had a problem with it. The only things they ever ask me about is the 12v battery for the cineslider. Always get through though.

Owen

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:47 am

Awesome thanks for your help guys. Might have to use my mini tripod.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:56 am

Owen wrote:
I've never had a problem with it. The only things they ever ask me about is the 12v battery for the cineslider. Always get through though.

Owen

Yep, that's one thing I have been stopped for, some larger battery packs can look a bit like an explosive pack on the x-ray apparently. They have asked me to take it out and show me it working once.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Do you carry your equipment as hand luggage? Usually I travel with way too much than possible as hand luggage, so checking in through custom with various papers is the way I use to do it. Then I don´t know what happens to the luggage, but I have never had any problems, when done this way. One time a Leatherman was discovered hidden in the camera bag I brought on the plane as hand luggage, and I had to leave it at security in Pristina, Kosovo, although it went straight through from Copenhagen in the first place. On a domestic flight we had to bring a Leatherman, but that was just taken care of by the flight personal, by sealing the box and locked it up in the plane. A supporter once made a luxury package for me, and I didn´t even think of all the support gear I was equipped with, so at a security entrance to meet Colonel Gaddafi, they politely asked me to bring a small gas container for soldering back in the bus. So, all in all, I haven´t experienced big problems in any ways for around 30 years or so.

I guess, if you think, it could cause problems bringing it as hand luggage, it should be possible to get it sealed in a box and stoved away somehow. I mean, people can still travel with weapons, as long as they have some sort of permission and dealt with in the right order.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:40 am

I'll normally carry my most expensive / important equipment in a backpack as carry-on, check the rest.
Depends on the situation as to exactly how things get packed, but I will always carry my primary lenses and camera body.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:25 pm

I usually travel with as much camera gear as possible in my carry on. I mostly shoot surfing and travel to 3rd world countries where luggage has a tendency of getting lost or arriving a day or two late. So I make sure I have at least enough camera gear on me to be able to shoot when I arrive. Airports are also a cool place to take photos and with a couple of hours of waiting for flights it's a nice way to pass the time.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 am

Ok, so an update. Never once on my 10+ trips through airports did anyone want to have a look at the little bramper. I did have to pull my water housing out for inspection about 4 times though!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 am

Being a diver that is interested in doing some UW cubics, is it mostly aluminum or plastic?

TIA.
BDU

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 am

Just to add my experiences to the thread, I recently flew from the UK to Japan and back.

Travelling with the Little Bramper and a host of other equipment, (kessler crane PB dolly, motors and controller, cameras etc.) and a guitar. No trouble with security and as always I managed to sweet talk the guitar into the cabin 8-)
It was at the back mind that the LB looks like a bomb timer though :o

http://www.youtube.com/dalecampbellextras

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:44 am

Dale Campbell wrote:
It was at the back mind that the LB looks like a bomb timer though :o

That's the look I was going for.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:51 pm