It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Ebay Intervalometer + Liveview / Mirror Lockup Logistics 

Post Ebay Intervalometer + Liveview / Mirror Lockup Logistics
Hi all,
I've just purchased a generic ebay intervalometer for use with my 5d MK II, its got a different name on it but essentially its the same as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Timer-Rem ... 928&sr=8-2

(the type without an off switch, something I'll need to rectify I think!)

If the exposure is less than the interval, the timer can control everything. No problem.

When you switch to long exposures where the interval is smaller than the exposure I can't simply use the interval mode and need to put the camera into bulb mode and let the timer control everything. This is fine but doesn't allow for mirror lockup as that'd would lead to uneven firing.

Ideally I'd like to use liveview to spare the mirror some work (and remove any added shake). Has anyone done this by using liveview, the intervalometer set to 30s exposure and 3s interval AND the shutter speed in liveview set equal to the the timed exposure? Is there another (better or easier) way to achieve this. I was thinking slight inaccuracies in this would lead to the camera and timer getting out of sync after an hour or so.

Thanks for any help and I apologise for all the questions. I'm away for 3 weeks in two days and I hope to do a fair few lapses, however, I won't be able to process anything until I return. I'm hoping all the theorising will leave me with a HDD full of useful RAW files rather than a lot of wasted time.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 am