It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 am

Hyperlapse Trolley Homemade 

Post Hyperlapse Trolley Homemade
Hello everyone .... I'm trying to make homemade motorized trolley (or manual) specific for hyperlapse .... I tried soldering to a tripod Benro 3 wheels ... but they turn on themselves and have little control. Result .... ... does not work well if a few conditions stabilizing the image heavily .... then I thought about use a golf trolley (maybe motorized) and weld the stand to it (since the aluminum welding only with the aluminum would be perfect) .... and if it works use the golf trolley with the electric motor for an ideal result ... what do you think? can it work?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Post Re: Hyperlapse Trolley Homemade
My try with one old tripod bento changed is this :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152312656547822&l=3176020043249498575

Tripod changed

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Adding the wheels to the tripod was an interesting idea. If all three wheels can swivel to go in different directions,
I can see why it doesn't want to track in a straight line. I think I see what you are trying to accomplish with the
golf bag cart. The two fixed wheels always go straight and only one wheel can swivel to steer with. That should
go closer to a straight line.

If you are not going to use the motorized cart, why not use a triangular piece of plywood or something like that
with two wheels locked in a fixed direction and possibly one pivoting wheel to steer with? I bet it would track
even straighter if you eliminated the pivoting wheel altogether. Let it ride on the two fixed wheels and rest on
a little peg or foot when it is stationary to take the picture. If the foot is at the front, you could pull it along
with the foot following straight lines in the floor where tiles meet, or a chalk line, or string. The two fixed wheels
would tend to follow along straight, the way a trailer follows the car pulling it. Look at the way
a Weber barbicue grill gets moved. You could even steal the wheels and axle off of an old grill
that somebody is throwing away.

The motorized cart is interesting because you could have a circuit turn the motor on and off for a consistent
amount of time each time it moves, making the distance moved very consistent and automatic. The simpler way
would be to use tape to put a couple of stripes on the wheel. Each time you move, roll the wheel forward until
the stripe is flat on the ground, so each move can be a half rotation, or a full rotation or two full rotations. The
point is that the rotation of the wheel can mark out your distance intervals. It could be just that simple.

For movements where you want the camera to pan and track an object, or just to keep the lens aimed in exactly
the same direction, Displacement1 made a brilliant hyperlapse device with a gunsight mounted on the cameras
hot shoe. He chose some object where the camera would aim at for the entire shot. He then used the gunsight
to put that object exactly in the crosshairs before taking each exposure. That way the camera seemed to be
smoothly tracking the aim point and little or no stabilization was needed in post. Another brilliant advancement he
made was a pendulum levelling device, so the camera was exactly horizontal for each exposure. You could PM him
and ask for more details on his hyperlapse rig.

Post some pictures of it when its done. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in a better hyperlapse method.

For a ready-made solution check out thecamtrac.com it is a similar device made by another Timescapes member
named Dan Eckert. Dan has been doing awesome hyperlapse shots for years and has developed the camtrac as
a tool to help anyone interested in making better hyperlapse shots.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am

I just use one of these...

Tripod Dolly for $40

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-LT-D100-Pr ... ipod+dolly

Used to be $30 :( oh wells. I do wish the screw adjustment was a spring instead, it's a pain to screw/unscrew to lock in the tripod legs.
Other than that it's ok, obviously the wheels are free so it's pretty hard to track straight if you're not going on a smooth level surface.

Still working on getting them better, but I mostly use my slider for motion shots.
Hypers are a beast... one wrong shot...

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 am

Interesting tripod with wheels ;) but if I put larger wheels and with rotation lock becomes similar to mine ... and I think it probably already would improve enough for a decent hiperlapse ..... i can to try .... . well the wooden table with fixed wheels could be a cheap and interesting .... I personally attracts me a lot to have the electric motor with a potentiometer for linear motion and fluid in the crowd ... my father motorized golf cart already did ... if I can steal him and try to see what comes out

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Ok now try with this ..... is only manual but stable ... and has all the accessories included: hand brake, umbrella holders, door water, chest of drawers, all-aluminum, wheels with solid rubber .... now I'm editing and then I'll tell you how it works ;)

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 am

Ok this morning i have try with video mode and one hyper lapse ... this is video of test ..... sorry for italian speak :lol:

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 am

Cool, I just noticedn this post and I can see we are all on the same line of thought. Here is a tripod dolly that I motorized last month. I used the same dolly that scotchtape mentioned, the Dolica LT-D100 tripod dolly, which I modified. Check out my post for pictures and video...
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11891

I love the fact that the dolly folds up and I can adjust the height of the tripod. Additionally, since I use the Emotimo TB3, I use the 3rd axis port to control the movement automatically. The motorized wheel can also be adjusted to form an arc of varying size.

Sat May 17, 2014 6:53 pm

shopping carts work great

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:39 pm