It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:03 am

motorized tripod dolly for emotimo TB3 (for hyperlapse) 

Post motorized tripod dolly for emotimo TB3 (for hyperlapse)
Well I finished my motorized tripod dolly last month and have been testing it.
http://vimeo.com/93896416

I wanted a quicker and easier way to make hyperlapse video after getting a sore back doing it by hand. I get better results quicker using this setup. Will post more pictures later and maybe create an instructable pdf later this summer.

Since the dolly is controlled by the aux. motor port, all the moves are computer controlled. Also the motorized front wheel can be adjusted to give you an arc move of varying sizes. I will have a fun summer with this thing. One thing I didn't anticipate is the amount of attention it is getting. People have been stopping and staring at it to the point that it is ruining the hyperlapse sequences....

Sat May 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Post Re: motorized tripod dolly for emotimo TB3 (for hyperlapse)
That looks excellent. Great idea. Would love to see some of the hyperlapses you've shot with it. Any chance you could share some more info on how you built the motorised wheel? I have the same dolly and would be keen to have a go at modifying it to work with my TB3.

Sun May 18, 2014 1:03 am

Build at your own risk, this is a beta project presently and I am still improving it and might change things in the near future.
Here is how I built my motorized dolly...

I first removed the bolts from the two back wheels and replace it with a 3ft long threaded rod that connects them. The wheels should now be parallel with each other when you bolt it. Now tack weld the casters of the two wheels so that they no longer swivel. Once welded, remove the long threaded rod and replace with the original bolts. Your front wheel will now direct the back wheels without the back wheels swiveling on their own.

As for the front wheel, order a closed loop timing belt and two timing gears (17 tooth and 40 tooth timing gear).
Also get a nema 17 1.2 amp bipolar stepper motor. I got this size so that I don't overheat the motor driver in the Emotimo TB3

GT2 closed loop belt - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141218810778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
5mm bore, 17tooth GT2 timing gear - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141129135090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
6.35mm bore 40 tooth GT2 timing gear - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141202027327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Nema 17 1.2 amp bipolar stepper motor -http://www.robotdigg.com/product/7/NEMA17-Stepper-Motor-40mm-Long,-1.2A

Note: When I upgrade the design, I will change the belts and pulleys to a 5mm pitch instead of 2mm. I noticed that if the belt isn't tight, it will slip a little. This won't happem with a 5mm pitch belt and gears. But the GT2 belt does work when tight.

I used the original wheel and altered it to accept the 40 tooth timing pulley (bolted a flat circular alum disk to one side of the wheel and screwed in the timing pulley that I drilled out screw holes for to the circular aluminum disk). You should now have a wheel with a timing pulley on it (you can see this in the picture). Next, you have to make your own custom swivel caster. I will go over that later when I have more time
Adios for now...

Sun May 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I don't know how to weld so might have to think of another way to do some of this. Thinking cap on ;)

Sun May 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Well, you can also use a 5minute epoxy on the swivels of the casters so that they don't spin. But you are going to have to get the grease out of the joint first with a chemical degreaser and then air dry it before packing the joint with a 5 minute epoxy. The hard part is making a custom swivel caster that can fit a 2 1/2 opening for the wheel. I welded mine up because it is probably the easiest way of doing it strongly.

Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm