It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 am

Dolly & Motor Advice for Icecap Project 

Post Dolly & Motor Advice for Icecap Project
Hi All,

been trawling through the posts here looking to setup a system for an upcoming project where I will be filming for 5 weeks alone out on the Greenland Icecap.

I am using the Mumford Moco stepper motor for the panning and would like to introduce a rail system also.

As i would prefer to trust a 'professional' to assemble a great unit for me, any pointers in that direction would be good.

I must say also that I am blown away by the threads on the open moco. I wish I could become as involved as you all are but at this stage I can't really stop what I am doing and learn what seems to me to be a new language...:)

If anyone wants to partner with me to test out any of this new gear in this pretty harsh envirnoment please let me know....Happy to chat !!

Cheers

Murray

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm
Post Re: Dolly & Motor Advice for Icecap Project
I did come up with a design that was 'antz approved' . Basically (as I understand it) belts are no no... and you don't want to have long cabling. Here's my sketches (with the v1 openmoco pan tilt):

Turned out it would run about $1000ish for a prototype. I believe you could run this off the mumford controller...

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Well if that's an offer, kind sir, I would be happy to fork out... :D

Could the rails be made from sections that slot together to make it more easily transportable?

I assume that once we had the rail setup any head could be placed on there -with options for tilt and pan down the track?

At the moment it would be good to start with the mumford steeper system as I am familiar with it and I like the ramping etc. Tom mentioned that he was concerned about the 'settling it' between frames on his setup. Have you any further thoughts on that?

If you want to go ahead how do we start?

Cheers

Murray

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 pm
Murray Fredericks wrote:
Could the rails be made from sections that slot together to make it more easily transportable?[

that is a little kicker. I was told this type of rail/roller (rollon x-rail) would need to overlap the joint so you might be spending some time in the field assembling.

Murray Fredericks wrote:
Tom mentioned that he was concerned about the 'settling it' between frames on his setup. Have you any further thoughts on that?

Ah that reminds me... Maybe this wouldn't work with the mumford... We are implementing small ramps inbetween steps so that we dont get a big 'lash'... that may be trouble.

Murray Fredericks wrote:
If you want to go ahead how do we start?

give me a PM. I'm hoping Church will chime in here... About the compatibility...

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:08 pm

that is a little kicker. I was told this type of rail/roller (rollon x-rail) would need to overlap the joint so you might be spending some time in the field assembling.

That's Ok for this trip as I am staying put once dropped in by chopper. There will be only be one assembly. The problem is shipping the gear ahead. I have a limit of 1meter (longest side) on anything I ship.

Ah that reminds me... Maybe this wouldn't work with the mumford... We are implementing small ramps inbetween steps so that we dont get a big 'lash'... that may be trouble.

Do we look at a servo motor? I emailed Bryan Mumford this morning and he doesn't think this is an issue?

Cheers

Murray

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm

That's Ok for this trip as I am staying put once dropped in by chopper. There will be only be one assembly. The problem is shipping the gear ahead. I have a limit of 1meter (longest side) on anything I ship.

Do we look at a servo motor? I emailed Bryan Mumford this morning and he doesn't think this is an issue?

Cheers

Murray

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm
Site Admin

The 3-foot sections is probably going to be your problem. Tracks are very difficult to join smoothly. You might just have a custom track built and use a simple CamTram car. Take a look at how Mike Flores built his closed-loop Mumford dolly.

If you need pan, you can use a 2nd Mumford for pans. Just tell Bryan you need a Y cable coming out of the Time Machine. It will go to two controllers, one for each stepper.

The only really custom thing I am suggesting is that you will need to get the track built. Make sure to emphasize smoothness of the joints. But if you can leave it assembled once on site, that will help simplify your life. Taking tracks apart and putting them together tends to blow.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 am