It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:48 am

My New Lindy Dolly... 

Post My New Lindy Dolly...
My new Dolly - mostly built with a drill and a hacksaw. ;)

The real Lindy.. (Who does not actually appear in this video but may in the sequel...)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Post Re: My New Lindy Dolly...
Impressive ..... is it a single stack Nema 34 motor?

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Yes it's single stack. Almost overpowered really. I still have a couple of higher voltage drives to try out - (160v and 340v) I think it should do 3m/sec. Of-course this is not what time-lapse is really about but it's fun to see how far you can go...

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:39 pm

....... my 'new' mono dolly has a double stack 34 and can sure move on a longer length of profile.

Looks like you have been working on your software as well.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Looks like you could tear the teeth off the belt with a motor like that.... :-)

The advantage of normal track is I can make very long moves like 10 metres or more and it can even work on curved track.
Nearly all the time-lapse I see is based on quite short moves so I'd like to see some really massive ones...

Once the track is set up it's pretty easy to change camera height. An outrigger can easily be added to hang the camera - even just a piece of timber with some clamps will do the job...

My next project is a small crane arm for this dolly.

I was thinking of motorising a Manfrotto gear head too. Normally they have a very stiff drive though - so either you need a very torquey motor - did you have to loosen it up? If so, are there any backlash issues ?

The software is coming along. It now looks possible it could be ported to an iPhone or the new Windows 7 Phone. Wireless operation is also looking possible.

G

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:38 am

Gerald, motorising the #400 was a bit of a task, adjusting its internal bits to achieve the correct tension is a pain in the a##, and there were a few mechanical 'bumps' in the gears that had to be machined out.

Given that this head was not engineered in the first place to provide smooth movement during a shot - rather its actual purpose was to provide accurate manual lock-off positioning for still's shooting - and it's great for that.

I used a couple of Powermax hybrid steppers to provide the torque necessary to turn those stiff gears, driven by a couple of 80 volt drivers.

The physical profile/size of the head is a little cumbersome in my opinion - if I was to do it again I'd go and fabricate a suitably sized 'L' design.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 pm
Very nice work Gerald! I like the smooth, high-speed motion. The overlays came out great!

!c

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:37 am

Hi - Thanks

Actually that test was just shot wild (no phase sync)

Since that test I have added an LM1881 chip to extract a video frame pulse, which is used to trigger the moco move, and achieve perfect phase sync as well... :geek:

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 am