It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:13 am

Using Intervalometer to control a dolly motor 

Post Using Intervalometer to control a dolly motor
Hello all,
Long time lurker here. I was thinking about using a motor to automate my glidetrack for timelapse. I've seen a few continuous motor solutions on here, but I just had a thought about a simple move-shoot-move controller - a spare intervalometer.

As I understand it, all the intervalometer does is completes a circuit which triggers the camera at a set interval. If you could include the intervalometer into the motor circuit then the motor would only work when the intervalometer relay closed thus moving the dolly.

If you set 2 intervalometers (1 attached to the camera, 1 to the motor circuit) oppositely i.e. camera intervalometer - 25 second interval, 5 second exposure, Motor intervalometer - 5 second interval, 25 second exposure/motor running and you set them running at the same time, then the motor would only move when the camera shutter was closed.

It seems so simple to me but I've not seen or heard of this being done before, so i'm sure there is probably something that i've overlooked.
I'm not an electrician so there may be voltage restrictions which mean that this wont work, but if anyone can see any errors in my thinking then please let me know.

Thanks

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Post Re: Using Intervalometer to control a dolly motor
This may work well for short time lapses, but it's likely that the intervalometers would slowly go out of sync. I'm not sure how long it would take for that to happen, but it would definitely cause problems.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:37 pm
It's really not a bad idea... Just a fun wiring challenge. ;)

Chances are you'll run up against one big wall though... You can only do 1,2,3,etc. second pulses to the motor so your travel distance will be sort of set in stone unless you place a speed controller between the switch and motor. Then it is just a matter of timing as sm105 points out.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Well, if you wired it through a splitter with an inverse logic it would be pretty easy to set up to drive when the shutter is not active to make it move-shoot-move.
This is basically what I did before interval timers were commercially available, I set up a 555 oscillator circuit driving a relay with dual sets of contacts, the ON position of the relay operated the camera, the OFF position powered a drive motor via the second set of contacts.
Exposure time was still set on the camera.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Cheers,

Antz, I like your idea of using a logic relay so I only have to use 1 intervalometer, and there's no chance of it going out of synch.
Hopefully fairly simple, sounds like it's time to open one up and have a play.

I'll post a how to once I'm done.

Ben

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi guys....did anyone have any luck with this? I'm working on a DIY dolly and hoping to work with a friend to mod my Canon TC80 N3 to control my 12V gear motor as well as my camera. Be interested to see if any headway has been made by others with this problem before I dive in. I will post results when I do thought. Thanks.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Grant,

Not got round to doing this yet. I've got the bits, juts not had the time!
It's at the top of a long list of projects for the new year though. I'll update with video and pics when I'm done.
It'll be good to hear how you get on too.

Cheers,

Ben

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:32 pm