It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 am

Exposure settings for sunrise TL 

Post Exposure settings for sunrise TL
Hey all,

Ned to shoot a from dark sunrise in DC over the National Mall, what exposure settings do you recommend? Thinking 6:30 to 9am. Weather should be blue skies.

I've read Iso100, Shutter 100, f9...but then a lot of variations.

Cheers, really appreciate the help.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 am

Post Re: Exposure settings for sunrise TL
If you're going from darkness to dawn, your biggest problem is going to be the illumination change, which is dozens of F-stops. Having the camera set to AV mode will let the cameras exposure meter compensate for some of it. You have two problems with this.

One problem is that the camera's exposure system makes large jumps in exposure which can be seen in the timelapse video. These jumps are about 1/3 of an f-stop and are a function of DSLR exposure systems designed for still photography.

Another problem is again the huge change in illumination. In most cases, you can't compensate for it with shutter speed as AV mode would attempt to do. It requires changing shutter speed and ISO, sometimes combined with aperture changes as well.

This type of shot going from daytime into night, or vise-versa, was called the "holy grail" shot in timelapse because it was so complicated to do and almost no one could get it right. Now there is this device called "Ramper-Pro" which plugs into your camera (in several places) and takes over exposure control. It makes good transitions through sunrise and sunset. They are pretty expensive though. Try googling ramper pro timelapse or check out Elysiavisuals.com

There was a device called the little bramper which let you do the same thing in a semi-manual mode where you sat with it and added or removed ND filters when it said to. The guy who made them disappeared a while back, but you can sometimes find them used for less than a ramperpro.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:13 am

Hey thanks for the tips, Ramper Pro looks pretty amazing. One of the issues I have is that I'm I don't do a lot of time-lapse, a client asks for not from time to time and thus I'm a no expert at all. TL around difficult times like sunrise are obviously one of those speciality cinematography categories.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:05 pm

'LR Timelapse' is a piece of software designed to help you with this kind of shot among other things. The website also has a link to the makers ebook about timelapse photography which provides answers to many of the questions you didn't know needed asking.

http://lrtimelapse.com/

Kit

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:37 am

Yes that's what I used, LRTimelapse is pretty amazing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:11 am