It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 am

12 Hour Timelapse Job SOON ;/ 

Post 12 Hour Timelapse Job SOON ;/
Hey all!

I just joined and this is my first post! ! Great to be here.

pardon my hurried request ~ first, a little about my background. I've done photography casually for about 5 years now. Weddings, portraits, etc. I take on gigs as they come up, not too often but I like it and I learn as I go. I've done several timelapses and someone emailed someone and I got an offer to do one for a construction company so I figured I'd give it a try.

I am familiar with ML and have done some bulb ramping. I have used gbtimelapse and gbdeflicker and my intervalometer for simple daytime timelapse.

My Project: 5am - 5pm. Dark, to light, to dark again. :/ They are moving a bunch of stuff from the top of a building (HVAC company) and I am shooting this from 3 cameras :

1. GoPro Hero 3+ black at image every 5 seconds for 12 hours.
2. Canon t1i with ML - not sure if I should use gbtimelapse or ML but welcome suggestions. Not sure on time interval. Zoomed canon 24-105 f4 lens. could use NDs
3. Canon 6D - no ML - but will probably use gbtimelapse. not sure on time interval. wide angle lens rokinon 10mm f2.8 locked at 2.8. (Not possible to use ND filter on this one)

My problem: I keep doing test shoots during various times (4am - 12pm, etc) and the flicker is bad. The TV stepping is obvious and the AV flicker at .1sec exposure with aperture at 22 gives a lot of AV flicker and it drives me crazy. I feel stuck and worried I wont be able to remove the flicker from the work that I will have to present.

Help: If anyone can offer me some help I'd be more than grateful. I feel like I can fall back to the gopro and deflicker that and I will be ok but really want to get this with the DSLR cameras.

A huge thank you for anyone that can help. Thanks. ~Ben in Portland :? 8-) :D :roll: :shock:

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Post Re: 12 Hour Timelapse Job SOON ;/
just to clarify ~ I am basically looking for insight if this is the correct method to proceed or if the experts have any guidance.

Today I attempted a 3FPS Video timelapse with ML on my t1i and it seems with a manual lens it messes up the shutter speed settings so it is way to bright.
I still think my best bet is to use the gopro in timelapse mode, and the 6d with gbtimelapse and toss in a ND filter once it gets to tv fluctuation mode to keep it under .1 second shutter speeds.

Thanks all for any input!

8-)

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm

You have to use GB timelapse with your equipment.
Otherwise you will need to use something like LR Timelapse in post.

There is going to be a lot of flicker unless you lock your aperture down.
Why are you shooting at F22?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Ok. The only issue I have now is that when I let gb timelapse do any adjustment of aperture it caused bad flicker.

Can these programs (LR timelapse and gbdeflicker) remove all flicker? I just haven't had good results using gbdeflicker to remove flicker, and am ready to switch to ND filters.

I was shooting at f22 because it was so bright out it couldn't stay in bulb mode without going to high f numbers to keep exposure below .1 seconds.

Thanks for helping!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 pm

It went well folks. Not perfect, but very well given my short timeline!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 pm