It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 am

Timelapse Locations - Southern Florida and Miami 

Post Timelapse Locations - Southern Florida and Miami
Hi Timescapes:

I relocated from the midwest to southern florida for my career. I've wanted to get out on the weekends to shoot timelapses of the area, but am completely at a loss for where to go. I believe Miami would be a great start with plenty of locations to timelapse, I'm hesitant to drive around this huge city with my equipment just to "scout" out places to timelapse, especially in downtown Miami.

Crime is present in any big city, and in such situations knowing where to go and what places to avoid should be a priority to protect yourself against unwanted encounters. I can't find any forums that discuss Miami specifically for locations where a timelapse project can get some great views of downtown.

Any recommendations for areas in southern florida/Miami to check out, as well as stay away from?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am

Post Re: Timelapse Locations - Southern Florida and Miami
If you can get a boat, you have to check out the view of Miami from Boca Chita Key in Biscayne National Park. During the week, you can usually have the entire island to yourself. The high rise buildings of downtown Miami stick up above the horizon. The island itself was being developed into an estate for a billionaire in the 1920's but construction ended when his wife was killed in a fall on the island. The parks department maintains the grounds which have a harbor, lighthouse, huge mowed lawns and landscaping, a carriage house where the parks department keeps their lawnmower, and a tiny chapel. The mansion was never built, so its just resort style landscaping and a place to park your boat. The Island is divided in half by a coral stone wall and the South half is mostly wild with a trail going around the shore. Probably some interesting shots of wild shoreline and city on the horizon.

You can always get a hotel room with an elevated view of the part of downtown you want to photograph. You can try driving around I-95, I-195, and the Dolphin going east of I-95. There are big, high overpasses with awesome views of downtown. When you pull over and setup, try to setup ahead of your vehicle instead of behind it (so your vehicle absorbs a crash, not you). Its pretty public. A cop could drive up at any time, so robbers don't like it as much as a dark alley or something.

South Beach still has some awesome art deco hotels along Washington ave and Collins ave. There are also some along the public beach on Ocean ave. Its the Miami Beach of Miami Vice and Scarface.

Watson Island was my favorite place to look across at downtown. There is a marina gas-dock by Chalk-air seaplane ramp, and boat-docks going west from there, which all have great views of downtown. It used to be very quiet there, especially at night. Cop speedboats used to come in to refuel every couple of hours all night when I was there last.

I used to work at getting away from the city. You definitely want to check out Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Coral Gables. Its a huge outdoor museum of living plants from all tropical and subtropical zones around the world and has awesome grounds. Also Check out Vizcaya, an old mansion from the 20's with gardens like a mini-Versailles palace. The wild jungle along the road into Vizcaya is almost always overlooked. Check it out for interesting jungle scenery before going in to the Vizcaya grounds themselves. Flamingo has a campground at the south end of Everglades National Park. During the week, you can also be the only one there sometimes. Lots of different stuff to photograph there. Of course, you have the Everglades. There is a little pond with a viewing stand that gives you some elevation, which is hard to find anywhere else in the park. There is undeveloped seashore, which is rare in Florida today. Most pictures of shoreline scenes without condominiums are taken along the coast between Flamingo and Naples. Flamiingo is the forgotten access to the upper Florida keys. While all the tourists take US-1 south and the overseas highway, Flamingo harbor and boatramp give you access to the west end of the ten thousand islands area. Its awesome. Its all little islands everywhere on out to the horizon. If you drive your boat to the horizon, it looks the same in all directions, islands everywhere as far as the eye can see. it goes on and on like that. Bring GPS. Boca Chica key has a campground on the overseas highway running through the Florida keys on the east side, where everyone normally goes to see the keys.

I've moved farther North, near Cape Canaveral. The parks department has given me some forests to shoot in which are sanctuary lands not open to the general public. I use these when I want to leave equipment outside for days or weeks at a time. Let me know if you want to do some beach or forest stuff up here.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 am

Post Re: Timelapse Locations - Southern Florida and Miami
Much appreciated. I explored around downtown west palm beach and the port of miami last week. Looks like there are plenty of great places to do some lapses of the city and cruise ships coming in from the port . The park downtown seems promising as well. Cant wait to get out and shoot on a free weekend. :D

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 am