It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Canon 450D Shutter/Mirror problem 

Post Canon 450D Shutter/Mirror problem
Hi,

I've just started doing timelapse photography, and have found this forum very useful!

Sadly, I've already encountered a problem - I'm using a Canon 450d (I think that's a Rbel XSi in the US), along with a Meyin intervalometer. I have been shooting a timelapse with lots of frames - about 4,000 - for use in an animation. The camera was set to manual, ISO 100, f22, shutter speed 1/15. It worked fine for a while, about 5 minutes, then the camera stopped and showed an Err 99 message. I understand this to be a generic error message, which is lovely and unhelpful.

I've checked the lens, battery and card, and they all seem fine. However, when I started running a check on shooting every second with the lens off, the mirror stuck halfway after a few shots, which seems to be the root of the problem - it's stopping about halfway up as it tries to lift up.

Is this an easy problem to fix, or is it time to visit a Canon service centre / even worse, buy a new camera... ?

It's reasonable urgent as the timelapse is for an animation I need to deliver in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks!

Andy

Sat May 16, 2015 7:42 am

Post Re: Canon 450D Shutter/Mirror problem
I have no solution Andy, but I'd say that is a repair job. I had a similar situation with a 1000D which was the shutter warping under excessive use plus there might of been some dust and strong sunlight involved. It also gave me the Err99. Alas it was the start of a weeks worth of timelapse hundreds of kilometers from home and/or repair help. I now have the luxury of carrying two cameras.

Sun May 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Most the time the message means the shutter has worn out and needs replacing, probably around $400. Ask the local repair shop how much for a shutter replacement, then judge that against the price of another second hand camera.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Definitely not worth it to fix if it is an xsi...

New camera time!

Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am