It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Making a Living with Timelapse, Photography, Video? 

Post Making a Living with Timelapse, Photography, Video?
Just curious if there are people on this forum making a living producing Timelapse, Photography or Video?

If so, would you mind sharing your experiences? Maybe your thoughts about the future and what you think it might take to make it?

I see a lot of great Timelapse on this forum that I aspire to but even if I'm successful at producing comparable quality, so what? What do you do with it?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Post Re: Making a Living with Timelapse, Photography, Video?
maybe my experiences can help with your questions in this post.

i have been building up my video stock collections for over 12 years now, with now over 13 000 HD clips. i have been living comfortably and shooting for stock solely for the past 5 years.

this link to pond5 shows most of the collection -

https://www.pond5.com/video-sound-effec ... bassy.html

i think i do well as cover a wide range of themes. there is a lot of timelapse from our travels around the world, also i have a good collection of vintage and retro object that i make a lot of stop motion type clips with. finally we work with models and actors.

timelapse has also allowed me to move easily into 4k as the camera is shooting large frames so its easy to make both HD and 4k versions. i dont have a 4k video camera but have a growing side collection on 4k material that is stating to slowly sell.

it takes a lot of time and effort to get the work up on the stock sites. i am currently submitting to over 20 agencies. so shooting, editing and uploading and keywording is a full time job for me and my girlfriend..

the only downsides i can see in the coming future is over saturation. the collections are growing so fast, that unless you have a large portfolio of work, its hard to get noticed. pond has 2 million clips now....i believe there is a few more years though, especially for people making stand out work.

hope some of this might be useful..
dan>>

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

The alternative to making stock footage is obviously to create footage to clients' specifications. But, this means even more thinking "business" first and "creative" second as, unlike with stock footage, the client has equal or even more creative control. There are plenty of time-lapsers out there making custom footage for clients (e.g. the desert star-lapse sequences in recent 4x4 car commercials). It also means putting in a lot of work pitching for jobs.

I think that time-lapsers who can mix time-lapse with other mediums have the most to offer. If you go to a potential client only offering time-lapse, you won't do as well as the person who can offer time-lapse alongside either normal stills photography or normal videography. When you can mix time-lapse in a final product with talking heads (e.g. interviews/testimonials) and other normal video work, some motion graphics, etc. then you're offering the client something with higher marketing value than just a time-lapse sequence. There are lots of people out there making money from custom time-lapse jobs, but time-lapse tends to be just one string in their bow.

Potential clients for custom work are anyone involved with a long-term process. The greatest strength of time-lapse from a commercial perspective is its ability to tell a long story in a short period of time. So clients could include event organisers, construction (building demolition looks cool in time-lapse), landscaping, a manufacturing line, agriculture, etc. Other clients, of course, are those who want custom/exclusive 'beauty' time-lapse like what might be created for stock footage.

Matt

Also Aussie distributors of eMotimo TB3 motion control head: eMotimo in Australia

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Wow Dan you have a lot of great footage. Did you set out to do stock footage? If not what did you do that led you to this? I think I'm kind of late to this party but I find the idea of selling footage interesting. I couldn't imagine shooting at some of the locations that you shoot at. Do you need permission to shoot at an airport and how do you get it?

Really nice work.

~chuck

dubassy wrote:
maybe my experiences can help with your questions in this post.

i have been building up my video stock collections for over 12 years now, with now over 13 000 HD clips. i have been living comfortably and shooting for stock solely for the past 5 years.

this link to pond5 shows most of the collection -

https://www.pond5.com/video-sound-effec ... bassy.html

i think i do well as cover a wide range of themes. there is a lot of timelapse from our travels around the world, also i have a good collection of vintage and retro object that i make a lot of stop motion type clips with. finally we work with models and actors.

timelapse has also allowed me to move easily into 4k as the camera is shooting large frames so its easy to make both HD and 4k versions. i dont have a 4k video camera but have a growing side collection on 4k material that is stating to slowly sell.

it takes a lot of time and effort to get the work up on the stock sites. i am currently submitting to over 20 agencies. so shooting, editing and uploading and keywording is a full time job for me and my girlfriend..

the only downsides i can see in the coming future is over saturation. the collections are growing so fast, that unless you have a large portfolio of work, its hard to get noticed. pond has 2 million clips now....i believe there is a few more years though, especially for people making stand out work.

hope some of this might be useful..
dan>>

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:34 pm

hi chuck thanks for the nice comments..!

i started out a VJ mixing the visuals i was creating, live at clubs and music festivals around the world. as i was creating my own content, this lead me towards stock footage sites and chance to sell my work as well as use it. over the years the performing decreased as i got more involved in the creation side of things...

not sure its too late to the party just yet.. but definitely getting close with some agencies with 2 million plus videos on offer. it will get harder to make a mark unless you have a fairly large and strong portfolio..

i often get told to stop filming in various locations and the stuff in the airports i normally try to be really subtle and film a timelapse or something whilst waiting for a flight. i would love to get permission one time to film timelapse freely with a full setup in an international airport. have lots of cool ideas ready for that day!!!!!

best dan>>

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 am

I have not been so brave to shoot TL in an airport but I'd like to try...

There's so much good footage out there its also difficult to guess what would be popular.

I've just started doing TL so there's no way I could do a "gorilla" style shoot and be so unobtrusive that people wouldn't notice.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm