It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 am

Rights on photographs 

Post Rights on photographs
Hi,

I'm currently working on my first timelapse. Lately I found a good spot with a great view on top of a shopping mall. So I went there to shoot some scenes. While I was there a security guy came to me and told me I needed permission from the owner of the mall.

So I had to stop shooting and went home to write them an e-mail. I've got a mail back yesterday, they will give me permission as long it's non-commercial and they will get the rights on all my photographs.

First thing is no problem. But I'm not sure if I want to give them the rights. Any of you had to deal with this before? What would you do?

Ruud

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Post Re: Rights on photographs
It's a complicated one Ruud and depends where you are in the world.
Do not give up the rights to your work unless you have been commissioned and paid handsomely. I would politely tell them that transfers of rights is unacceptable and unless they change their demands would find something else to shoot. Perhaps enquire about a permit to shoot commercially to test the water if you think the shot is worth it.
If you are on public ground it is usually fine to photograph whatever you can see from there. When on private ground is varies massively.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for answering James. I'm currently in Germany. I'm pretty sure that they aren't gonna pay me. Worst thing is that I'm not shooting their building, only using it for the view.

Well, then I think I'll let it go and skip the scenes. To bad, because it's beautiful.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:11 pm

You could try and be sneaky. Use a small camera and be as unobtrusive as possible. If security approach keep them talking whilst the camera is running and hopefully get the shot. That has worked in the past ;)

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Haha, no chance. Don't have a small tripod and camera available (only film, but that's no option for timelapse).

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Problem solved. I've send them an e-mail and said that I'm not happy to give them rights, because their building is not on the scene. They said that they can do without the rights then. Instead I will credit them.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:21 am

Good to hear Ruud.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am