It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 am

Riding other peoples wave 

Post Riding other peoples wave
Found this guys clip on Youtube. It's a collection of other people work that was posted recently. It has a 30 second ad intro and lots of views so I assume he make some money from it. I wouldn't be peeved if he stated in the description that these are works from other people that he copied and pasted into a video and added some music. Yes, if you look deeper you find that, but from some of the comments its as if this guy is one amazing ttimelapser. This is just business I guess. I woulnt't do this...bloodsucker. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dTzy_N0Pn4

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Post Re: Riding other peoples wave
Guess I've just added one to the number of views. It does say 'compilaton by' at the beginning, but nevetheeless, I agree they're using other peoples' work to make money through advertising.

There's a LOT of that on youtube though - especially people who post tracks or even entire albums by bands, and have advertising.

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I've issued quite a few takedown notices on youtube recently and had videos removed. Re-posting is one thing, but re-posting to make profit from advertising etc is pretty low.
I recognise a few of those shots, might have to ping a couple of people to see if they want to get it removed.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:29 am

That's just wrong. I can't believe this video is still up and making this guy money. For me, credit is not good enough. He should at least ask for permission. I know some people are happy with credit, but that doesn't go far when you're trying to make a living.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm old enough to remember a time when laws applied to everyone. A complaint meant police would investigate to see if a crime had been committed. I don't think anyone would be sentenced to prison for this, but they would sit in jail until they came up with a few thousand for bail, or their court date, whichever came first. Then a judge would decide how much they owed the guy whose work was plagiarized. If it was a student, the university kicked him out after he got out of jail. Either way, there was restitution to the victim amounting to more than the crime had netted the criminal. (so crime wouldn't pay)

Letting people get away with this, making money, then getting caught, and the only "punishment" is having the video removed, only encourages this. It makes it a money making proposition with no downside. For example, if the only penalty for burglary was that you had to give back the stuff from those burglaries you got caught at, but you kept everything when you didn't get caught, and there is no fine, no jail.... Geez, if they had rules like that, I'd quit work and burglarize houses all day long while some chumps worked to pay for all the stuff i take. DUH!

As far as I can tell, crimes are allowed if you use a computer or have political connections. I don't have any politicians on payroll, but I do own a computer.

If you smoke a little weed, they have a special team that busts your door down. A dozen guys dressed in riot gear swarm in, terrorizing everyone, then they take your house, your car and make money keeping you in a privatized prison. Policing "white collar" crimes with lots of real victims is unimportant.

If the motion control business keeps going the way it has, I think I might be better off signing up for a commercial youtube account and spend all day, every day listing as many music videos as I can find. Its good money for almost no work. And police are too busy killing poor people selling "loosies" (single tobacco cigarettes from a pack they paid tax on) to bother stopping it. Yeah, they did kill a guy for that in NYC. So go for it. This is the new legal.

We should all be pissed as hell at the cops, prosecutors and judges. Also slightly pissed at the criminals. Then again, if no one will fight them, might as well join them.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:20 am