It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:45 am

File type and bit rate for stock footage? 

Post File type and bit rate for stock footage?
I use Virtual Dub to create my time lapse videos and then use MPEG Streamclip to compress them down to a manageable size with the h264 codec. I can only seem to be able to save the TL videos as .MOV files with MPEG Streamclip. If I try and save the clips as other file types, it just won't work. Would .MOV files be suitable or acceptable to clients with regards to stock footage?

My other query is concerning bit rates. I can choose whatever bit rate I like with MPEG Streamclip. What would be the recommended bit rate to use for full HD (1920 x 1080) videos for broadcast television? I'm guessing that potential clients who end up using the clips would be documentary filmmmakers, media companies, production houses etc.

Edit: woops...I forgot - this all depends on what frame rate I'm rending the video files as. If I select 30fps in Virtual Dub, then I can have the option of bringing the avi file into Sony Movie Studio where I can save it as a HDV file. Though with the Sony software, I don't have any control over the bit rate. I'm basically stuck with whatever fixed bit rate I'm given. On the other hand, if I output the file as 25fps with Virtual Dub, I cannot bring it into Sony Movie Studio to complete because for some crazy reason, there is no 1920 x 1080 25p option there. Though I could save it as a 1280 x 720 25p (HDV) file with Sony but I guess that's probably not good enough?

Sun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Post Re: File type and bit rate for stock footage?
I notice there was a hack available with the Panasonic GH2 camera where the bitrate was increased to 100mbps. A lot of people were raving about the image quality potential in this (for scenes with motion of course.) Maybe I'll settle on 100mbps in MPEG Streamclip for my time lapse videos.

Sun May 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Most production comapnies will want lossless, or at least ProRes or Dnx HD. In other words really big files that they can do additional grading to if needed. Occasionally they will be OK with h264, but not very often.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Ah thanks Anthony. I don't really have the software to output ProRes files. As an alternative, if they want loss-less, would they accept the uncompressed avi files that were created by Virtual Dub? These are indeed big files that haven't passed through any codec or compression scheme as yet.

Mon May 18, 2015 6:51 am

Antz wrote:
In other words really big files.

Ha ha, the last timelapse sequences I rendered to upload to Nimia were in the vicinity of 20Gb+ ! That was for a short 15 - 20 second sequence.

It's been a pain to find a decent combination of codec etc to get decent quality and manageable file size.

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Tue May 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Uncompressed AVI gives huge files, and they would probably be OK with that, but it is not a very common format.
If in doubt, most places will take TIFF image sequences, as they are pretty universal.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 am

Antz wrote:
Uncompressed AVI gives huge files, and they would probably be OK with that, but it is not a very common format.
If in doubt, most places will take TIFF image sequences, as they are pretty universal.

Unfortunately, TIFFs may not be a viable option for me either. My pc is pretty sluggish (might have something to do with it having a 32bit system with limited RAM. It really struggles outputting a bunch of jpeg files, let alone TIFFs.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:58 pm