It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 am

Rates for Doing TL as opposed to a day shooting video 

Post Rates for Doing TL as opposed to a day shooting video
Hi,

Tried the search to see if there is an answer, so forgive me if I got impatient and didn't search thoroughly enough.

In the past, all my time-lapse work has been part of a days video job, meaning, I got paid a day rate, and I'd throw in a time-lapse from time to time. That evolved to a point where I have invested/made new gear as I really enjoyed it and liked looking for a new ways to exploit the dynamic of time-lapse. Recently, with this new gear, people have seen me working with it and made inquiries to shoot time-lapse for them.

When I meet with them, they'll ask me, what are my rates. My question is, how do you charge when asked to shoot a time-lapse for someone? As you know, a ten second real time shot may take two hours, an hour to set up, and in some case, scouting time (going back there once or twice), and processing. Is gear included too? Or, do you ask for a day rate, and try and get as many in?

To piggy back on this, what about job talk time? At some point (from dating a lawyer who tells me about this), emails, phone calls, meetings, location scouting starts adding up from when they initially asked you to work one day. I've been shooting for over ten years, still not making the greatest living out of it, especially considering the awards I've won and quality of my work - probably my Aspergers though. I've been trying really hard to correct my bedside manner, but surely, there is a point where you need to say, "you are taking advantage". How do you address this excessive neediness by a client?

Thanks.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:23 am

Post Re: Rates for Doing TL as opposed to a day shooting video
I charge by the hours/days that I need to finish whatever video the client wants. If they want timelapse, then they need to pay for it. Timelapse takes longer than video and is therefore more expensive; it's as simple as that. Which means, unfortunately, that I've been turned down quite a few times when a potential client realised how much time and therefore money it takes (both shooting and post) to create one of those fancy time- or hyperlapses...

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:29 am

Sorry, I gave up on a reply. Thanks for that.

I just recently gave some options to a client, two split days, a day for clouds to shoot up, and a clear day to shoot down (shadows move). I think in the end, they just want to tick boxes, and don't realise how weather dependant this is.

Cheers

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:58 am

I charge 500 +5 per frame

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:17 am

I charge the same rate for video as I do for timelapse. However I explain to the client that we might need more days as shooting timelapse for a day results in less final footage than a 'real time' shoot. On projects with a tighter budget I'll use multiple cameras to maximise the number of shots that can be done in a day. For instance I recently did a job where a sunset shot of the client's site was required in two framings. I used a full frame DSLR for a wide angle and an APS- C DSLR for a tighter angle. I also carry a couple of GoPro's which come in handy for unusual angles and tight spaces. Plus you can remote control them. Recently put a couple in the can of a forklift :-) My other tip is to invest in a Camranger with remote head. Perfect for shots from a cherry picker or up on a roof. Plus it means you can go off and get other shots and come back and check on progress from the ground.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all this info. What about post, especially if it involves a holy grail lapse?

Cheers

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:18 am