It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Making a portfolio website 

Post Making a portfolio website
I suppose this would be the appropriate sub-forum, but forgive me if there is a better location.

I was wondering if any of you out there have suggestions for making a portfolio website that caters to both still photographs and video (HDSLR and timelapses). I've made portfolios before for web design and photography, but they almost always ultimately fail because they are too cumbersome to update. I've seen lots of portfolios that look very nice on the front-end, but in the back-end they are messy. This time around, I'm looking to make a very very simple portfolio that just shows the basics. What I had in mind was maybe like a simplified version of Vimeo: on the right/left you have a thumbnail of videos/photos in my portfolio, and to the side of that you have the current photo/video that you are looking at.

I'm wondering, do I go the route of using a CMS like WordPress... or are there third-party portfolio sites out there that are clean and simple that you could suggest?

I've neglected my current website for some time, and have just relied on third-party social network sites, using mine as a portal. Here's what it looks like now: http://www.philipmac.com

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Having looked through some of the staff members' websites, two that seem to capture fairly well what I'm trying to accomplish are http://www.ffwdtime.com and http://www.antarcticimages.com/.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am

Post Re: Making a portfolio website
You may want to look at Smugmug. They allow stills and video and they are easy to use to update your site. I just started customizing a site there and it appears to be straight forward.

Scott

Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm

My antarcticimages website is via smugmug.
I haven't gone overboard with the video side of things there, as I am holding a lot of that back at present.
Link below in signature.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 pm

I'll third smugmug. My website, steveezell.com, is built off of smugmug, and was designed by fastlinemedia for a very reasonable price.

Fri May 27, 2011 10:14 pm

To follow up I spent a little time finishing up some details on my SmugMug site: http://www.scottbuckelphoto.com At this time there is only a small portion of my still photography and no video. All of those aspects will be coming in the near future as I get time.

Scott

Sun May 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Now if smugmug just allowed digital video download sales as well as their existing digital photo sales I'd be very happy.
It is high in their requested features list, so hopefully they will get onto it sometime soon.

Edit: They now allow selling of clips for download, great way to go if you want your own stock footage easily available.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun May 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Another choice is livebooks. Originally for photographers, they are now partners with vimeo so you can post your vimeo videos through a slick livebook personal website. You need a vimeo account too. A lot of high end creatives are using this product.
Cheers,
Cy

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 am

Photoshelter is continually building their site and adding photographers. They are planning to have a way to display and license video by the end of this year.
And their cut on the stock sales is great, especially if you have been with a traditional stock agent for long.

Thu May 17, 2012 3:05 am

wordpress is really easy to use.

btw my AV flags your website as having a trojan on it :)

Thu May 17, 2012 5:51 am