It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am

Unusual recording issue on 5D Mark III 

Post Unusual recording issue on 5D Mark III
All - I apologize if this is off topic, but it seemed the only relevant board on the site for this kind of question. I cross-posted this on dvxuser as well as I'm trying to get to the bottom of what might have happened.

I recently was on a shoot that consisted of a lot of interview footage with a 5D III using an external HDMI monitor and battery grip. Periodically, the unit powered off during long takes (10 to 20 minutes) with what I originally presumed may have been overheating. There was no message on the screen, just a straight power down. In some instances, the camera would not respond even with a new battery inserted (with or without battery grip attached). After a period of about 10 minutes powered-off, the camera appeared to operate as normal.

In all instances save one, the footage up to the point of the shutdown was recorded. Unfortunately, in one clip that was somewhere in excess of 12 minutes (best guess), the footage was lost and I didn't find any partial files using recovery tools on the CF. What puzzles me is that a new file is supposed to be generated after 4GB of recording, and the camera will indicate when this happens on the screen, so I don't understand why I don't have at least a few files from that session before it powered down.

Any thoughts on what the possible cause may have been? Based on the warmth of the camera body and what I had read previously about overheating, I had assumed that overheating was the cause, but in review, I am starting to wonder if it was something else.

All of the cards I used were the Sandisk extreme pro 160mb/s. Camera was set to ALL-I to make editing easier.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas, or any other reports where similar events have occurred. The one piece of footage that didn't make it onto the CF card was a very important clip.

Thanks in advance -
Ben

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Post Re: Unusual recording issue on 5D Mark III
does the camera read the size of the card correctly? i wonder if perhaps the card is "too big" for the camera perhaps. was it the clip that was lost the last clip filmed ? i don't do much video so i am only speculating. the other options you could try are perhaps some video forums and or the retailer you bought it from perhaps even canon tech support or doing test runs at home to pinpoint what is going on what happens if you do a bunch of 5 minutes vids does it still crash ?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am

Post Re: Unusual recording issue on 5D Mark III
Thanks for your response. It was actually the 2nd clip of that day and it was a 32GB Sandisk pro card - I think one of the fastest ones they make. No other issues with other clips that I saved to it after the camera restarted. The more I look into it, it looks like a hardware problem. It was a rented 5D III. I had two others with me that day which had no other issues, so I'm not sure what the deal was. I'm going to probably go with C300 / C500 next time as the primary camera with perhaps the 5D III as a backup camera.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm