It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 am

30FPS Full HD Timelapse to PAL DVD? 

Post 30FPS Full HD Timelapse to PAL DVD?
Hi,

I've completed a Timelapse film and would like to create a DVD to give to family and friends. Unfortunately I've had difficulty with final quality when the film has been exported from Adobe Encore.

Each sequence was shot and edited at 30FPS in Full HD (1080p) Exported from AE as an uncompressed AVI and imported to create the film sequence in Premier Pro. I then exported the final film at the highest H264 setting I could achieve, I have then imported that into Encore and transcoded that to PAL Widescreen which converts it to 25FPS. The resulting film is jerky and very poor quality.

Can anyone shed light on this issue and how I can produce a DVD that will play in the UK/Europe from the 30FPS HD file? and does it have to be converted to PAL if it needs to play on a DVD player? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Guy

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Post Re: 30FPS Full HD Timelapse to PAL DVD?
Howdy Guy,

It does get a little confusing with so many variables. A few things. Most recent DVD players will play NTSC and PAL DVDs but to play it safe it's probably best to down convert them to 25fps. Now there are two approaches to changing the frame rate. The simple option is to simply down convert which isn't the best because you will see the vision jump every second because those 5 frames that you are removing have to go somewhere - well it is not that simplistic but it will be noticeable. This is the jerky you are talking about. The other option is that you change the way the video clips are interpreted so that they playback at 25fps. Sure they will be 20 percent slower but it's going to be better than the other option. I don't have Premier Pro but I can imagine that somewhere in there you can override what frame rate the source material is ?

I would set the project of Premier Pro to the final product which is PAL 720x576 Wide Screen 25fps and turn off fields. Converting to MP4 (H264) is just wasting time and introducing more coding artifacts. When you encode you should be using MPEG2 which is the format used on DVD. Again I don't know Premier Pro or its settings so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps.

Steve R.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Post Re: 30FPS Full HD Timelapse to PAL DVD?
Thanks Steve,

I have read more that most DVD players in PAL regions can play NTSC discs however I understand playing it safe would be a better option. I'm currently exporting the video from Premier at the correct MPEG2 format to see if that makes a difference.

Guy

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:01 pm