It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:01 am

Shadows of your gear in the scene 

Post Shadows of your gear in the scene
Hey all,

A Nat Geo photographer said you should never shoot with the sun behind you. I did that with a time lapse scene and the shadow of my camera and rail came into the scene as the sun changed position.

Would you consider that bad form if you saw this?

I value your opinion.

Cheers

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:04 am

Post Re: Shadows of your gear in the scene
AVOID IF POSSIBLE...

or light your shadows

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:28 am

or disguise your shadow with something.

tt

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 am

If you're showing some home movies, not so bad. If you're going to present this as the kind of work you do professionally, its probably best to reshoot it or find a different clip to use. Some of my early work probably has shadows in it and I never bothered to go back and delete them, so I guess nobody is going to hunt you down and make you pay for it. If you have to ask "is this so bad it kills the clip" then don't ask, just cut it.

Another pro photographer said "don't show anything other than your very best pictures".

When I edit, there is always way too much video and its hard to decide what to leave in and what to cut. I like all of what I shot. In order to cut it down to a reasonable length, I am always looking for anything to cut. Any excuse will do. Almost all clips get cut down to the bare minimum that carries the message, so the best few seconds of a longer clip. I also speed things up in post just to get the length of an interesting clip down to an acceptably short time on screen. Any visible flaw in a clip is excuse to cut it entirely, assuming I have something else I can stick there to convey the message.

If you only show your best stuff, people will think youre a good photographer. Additional volume at a slightly lower quality is doubly bad. I'm more impressed by a three minute demo film of someone's best work than by a half hour presentation including the good three minutes and a bunch of stuff that was almost as good.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 am

Thanks all for your tips and advice.

The scene is too far from home to re-shoot. It was by the water edge with an incoming tide so that was against me. The clip is still useful in other parts without the shadow. I will use a small section of around a second to fit the music.

Cheers !

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:03 pm