It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:46 am

RED! 
Post RED!
In my dreams. Has to be the bomb camera for TL. If anyone catches wind of lapse footage shot on this cam let us know!

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:53 am
Site Admin

Post Re: RED!
Welcome, milapse... it's an honor to have you here!

Drew from 599 Productions has shot some timelapse on RED. He's by far one of the best timelapse shooters around. The footage looked very nice. I'm going to shoot some RED stuff later this summer up at Yosemite.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 am
I want to see it!! So it has some sort of undercrank or intervalometer eh?

Man with all that dynamic range the result must be spectacular....

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:31 pm
Site Admin

milapse wrote:
I want to see it!! So it has some sort of undercrank or intervalometer eh?

Man with all that dynamic range the result must be spectacular....

Yeah Red has a built-in intervalometer with basic timelapse functions. As of now, it cannot do exposures longer than 1 second, and actually the dynamic range is not all that great (it will improve with new builds and a sensor upgrade next year). Resolution is very high at 4K. The Red's performance is a lot like a DLSR, except that it's more convenient than dealing with a DLSR, and you don't have to worry about blowing out your shutter. :) Red's workflow is more similar to an HVX200 than a DLSR.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:21 pm
timescapes wrote:
and you don't have to worry about blowing out your shutter. :) Red's workflow is more similar to an HVX200 than a DLSR.

true indeed but you could trade one red for 15-20 high quality DSLRz! Interesting about the 1s shutter... It's a 'rolling' type sensor thing correct?

So we're talking about raw frames stored internally here? I'm ignorant to all the flavors of RED / HVX captured data...

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:45 am
Site Admin

milapse wrote:
timescapes wrote:
and you don't have to worry about blowing out your shutter. :) Red's workflow is more similar to an HVX200 than a DLSR.

true indeed but you could trade one red for 15-20 high quality DSLRz! Interesting about the 1s shutter... It's a 'rolling' type sensor thing correct?

So we're talking about raw frames stored internally here? I'm ignorant to all the flavors of RED / HVX captured data...

Yeah, RED is basically RAW frames. It shoots to CF cards or a small, mounted harddrive (think iPod). It's just a little more convenient than dealing with a DLSR. Then again, the camera is much larger and more expensive. So I guess it depends what you are trying to do.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:59 am

Hey guys,

Just jumped over here from Vimeo.....

MiLapse, here are some RED timelapse's available at MammothHD:

http://www.mammothhd.com/XRED1/REDL20/MHD_REDL20.html

Honestly not the most amazing, but I can imagine they're library will build up quickly. Especially once Scarlet comes out... :twisted:

Also Timescape, from the RedUsers.net forum many people have been touting the Reds amazing Dynamic Range. Though I doubt it will compare to the possibilities of HDR timelapse. Seems like DSLR timelapse will be just as good, especially since they can already easily do 4k :mrgreen:

Vimeo Page: http://www.vimeo.com/user409454

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:00 am

Of course, while doing some quick RED Timelapse Googling I notice that your already a bit of RedUser.net veteran hehe. You also have one on order? What serial number?

Vimeo Page: http://www.vimeo.com/user409454

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:18 am
Site Admin

JRegner wrote:
Hey guys,

Just jumped over here from Vimeo.....

MiLapse, here are some RED timelapse's available at MammothHD:

http://www.mammothhd.com/XRED1/REDL20/MHD_REDL20.html

Honestly not the most amazing, but I can imagine they're library will build up quickly. Especially once Scarlet comes out... :twisted:

Also Timescape, from the RedUsers.net forum many people have been touting the Reds amazing Dynamic Range. Though I doubt it will compare to the possibilities of HDR timelapse. Seems like DSLR timelapse will be just as good, especially since they can already easily do 4k :mrgreen:

Red's dynamic range is not any better or worse than a typical DSLR, as far as I know. They use similar sensors and similar technology, including RAW.

My DP and buddy Chris has Red #400 in LA. I probably won't get one for my personal use anytime soon. I'm planning to concentrate on timelapse for the next 10 months or so, and right now DSLRs offer more capability for the kind of stuff I like to shoot - ie, long-exposure night timelapse.

BTW, welcome to the forum, JRegner!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 am

http://www.mammothhd.com/XRED1/REDL14/M ... r0008.html

not timelapse but a good example of how the RED setup is like a dslr that happens to make movies.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:07 pm

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/magazine/16-09/ff_redcamera

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 am

The 5DII shoots much better video in low light than red. It would seem that if Canon chooses to go to 4K Red may have problems. The Canon's video is clean at ISO3200. Red is clean at a real ISO of 250. Canon may not go over 1080P for awhile, however. The cine market is small and Canon doesn't often do small markets.
If anyone hasn't seen the Vincent Laforet video, it's worth a look.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I just finished shooting a quick little RED camera TL test in a black studio with 4 fluorescent bulbs and it handled great.

also, who cares if the 5dmk2 handles better in low light. its still a rolling shutter (i know the red can do this too from time to time) and it still only shoots at 24fps. as for timelapse, i'd love the camera, whichever one it is, to be less responsive to light, it allows for more motion blur, which usually looks better then very sharp still frames.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:02 pm

hucker wrote:
I just finished shooting a quick little RED camera TL test in a black studio with 4 fluorescent bulbs and it handled great.

also, who cares if the 5dmk2 handles better in low light. its still a rolling shutter (i know the red can do this too from time to time) and it still only shoots at 24fps. as for timelapse, i'd love the camera, whichever one it is, to be less responsive to light, it allows for more motion blur, which usually looks better then very sharp still frames.

I think you may be thinking of the nikon d90 the 5D mk II doesn't suffer from the rolling shutter and shoots at 30 fps.

timt

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:20 pm

dcmiller wrote:
The 5DII shoots much better video in low light than red. It would seem that if Canon chooses to go to 4K Red may have problems. The Canon's video is clean at ISO3200. Red is clean at a real ISO of 250. Canon may not go over 1080P for awhile, however. The cine market is small and Canon doesn't often do small markets.
If anyone hasn't seen the Vincent Laforet video, it's worth a look.

I was going to post this somewhere but redrockmicro and zacuto are going to be offering cine rigs (complete with rails, follow focus, and mattebox) for the canon 5d mark II (and or the d90)

timt

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm

pixelbot wrote:

I think you may be thinking of the nikon d90 the 5D mk II doesn't suffer from the rolling shutter and shoots at 30 fps.

timt

i meant to type 30.. and it does suffer, just not nearly as bad as the nikon

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 pm

hucker wrote:
pixelbot wrote:

timt

i meant to type 30.. and it does suffer, just not nearly as bad as the nikon

I have seen quite a few of the video and haven't seen any rolling shutter examples - do you have some you can point to - I'd love to see it as I'm planning on getting a 5D mk II as soon as I can (hopefully by the end of the year) and I'm from the school of thought that likes the 30 fps rather than 24 fps - just because I hate to see fields when 3:2 pulldown is introduced (I come from the post side of things where 3:2 pulldown can screw up alot of things in the graphics part - actual I hate fields in general - and also understand that some system will play 24 fps without introducing fields but alot of video system still do) but to each his own.

tt

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm