It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:22 am

HD changes to SD?? 

Post HD changes to SD??
Yesterday, I was out shooting wildlife for a short film I'm submitting to a film festival. I was using the Panasonic G6. The settings were AVCHD 1920 x 1080 25p. I was quite happy with the footage I got.

Just now, I was transferring the video files to the pc and I just about fell off my chair when I glanced at the file details under Properties. According to Windows, the frame width is 720 and the frame height is 480. How can this be? How on earth could these be recorded in standard definition? Windows is also informing me that these are AVCHD videos so that's a bit of a contradiction. There are four AVCHD options available on the G6 and they are all 1920 x 1080.

Ive checked earlier videos that Ive shot with the G6 and the same details are revealed – frame width: 720, frame height: 480. They are meant to be full HD. Ive also checked random videos that Ive shot with the GoPro and the details from those are as they should be – frame width: 1920, frame height: 1080. Would anyone have any idea about what's going on with the G6 videos?

Ive also checked the specs on videos shot with my Panasonic G2 and the details there are correct - 1280 x 720.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Post Re: HD changes to SD??
Have you loaded them into video editing software. Could be the codec on Windows is not reporting the correct details ?

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:46 pm

amongstmyselves wrote:
Have you loaded them into video editing software.

I have now. I imported them into Sony Movie Studio and checked the specs in there. I'm happy to report that they are indeed 1920 x 1080.

amongstmyselves wrote:
Could be the codec on Windows is not reporting the correct details ?

Ah I didn't realise that was a factor. An interesting thing is that Windows is basically telling me that these files are standard definition (NTSC.) That would suggest that the frame rate would likely be 30fps. But that's not right either. I live in a PAL country so I opted to shoot the files at 25p. So out of curiosity, I checked the frame rate in Properties - Details within Windows but it was blank (no information given about that.)

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Good result !

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:21 pm