It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:48 am

DSLR Vs Red One / Red Epic / Sony EX3 - Choosing a Camera 

Post DSLR Vs Red One / Red Epic / Sony EX3 - Choosing a Camera
Aloha

I see there are a few Red users here along with many DSLR users. If you were shooting time lapse only, what camera would you choose and why. Personally I am really not sold 100 percent on the red cam. Dont get me wrong I think the Red has nice options, but for the price point it seems really high. (28k for the epic body only) What are the advantages / disadvantages of Red over a DSLR such as a nikon FX camera? Does a Red have the same range / f stop latitude as a nikon/canon? Can you set manually exposure times on the Red? I do like the 240 frame feature coming out on the Epic. I have also heard horror stories concening the Red cam - not field friendly, etc. My arsonal currently consists of two Sony EX3's I purchased them for the timelapse / slo Mo features and picture quality. I also have four nikon DSLR's I thought about selling them all and getting a Epic - somethig tells me that is a bad choice - To be honest with you I think the quality on the EX3's is not the best expecially in low light. I considered purchasing a 35mm motion picture camera, but I am a one man unit and who wants to lug that around and pay for processing / film transfer to digital. I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks
Sean

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Post Re: DSLR Vs Red One / Red Epic / Sony EX3 - Choosing a Camera
mindsnare wrote:
If you were shooting time lapse only, what camera would you choose and why.

Equipment preference is very subjective but the camera of choice amongst members seems to be the Canon 5D2.
As to the why, read up on DSLRs from different manufacturers and choose one that fits your budget and style.

Good Shooting.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:11 pm

I'd go with the 5D2, unless price is no matter. Otherwise, I'd go with a RED and a 5D2. Red for video, 5D2 for time lapse and still.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:41 am

The Epic is pretty much a dream camera for timelapse. The Epic-S will be the least expensive option (of the Epic's) at somewhere under $12k for the brain but as it keeps changing, who knows. Positives are no moving parts (apart from the fan), 5K resolution, 13.5 stops of DR (up to 18 stops with HDRx), realtime playback of footage without processing, interchangeable lens mounts, R3D files. The ability to shoot anywhere from 240fps to 1fpm is quite something.
Something that I really like is the R3D compression. It's the wily and nimble little fox compared to the lumbering elephant of CR2/NEF.

Horror stories about the Red seem to be greatly exaggerated. We haven't had a problem in 2+ years though most of that it has been bench mounted in a studio. Tom and others have had theirs out in the field for longer and still love it.

As with every system there are drawbacks. Long exposure shots haven't been discussed much so we don't know what is happening here (the Red One can shoot up to a 1 sec exposure). As there is no mirror or physical shutter it might be a bad idea to shoot a timelapse looking at the sun. Battery power might be an issue as the camera is a digital cinema camera first and foremost.

The scenario I'm looking at right now is Epic for all motion and daylight/sunrise/sunset timelapse and DSLR for night timelapse and long exposure work.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:00 am