It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:41 am

Electronic Follow Focus/zoom 

Post Electronic Follow Focus/zoom
Several Timescapes members have been working on building their own electronic follow focus devices. I have been working on one that will work with the MX-2 controller. It will allow smooth, repeatable zooms and focus pulls in timelapse mode.

With different gearing, the focus/zoom device could be useful for controlling the lens during regular full speed 30 frames per second filmmaking. I can be a total klutz when it comes to the lens controls. I often have to reshoot my zoom shots several times to get it right. The lens sticks, then moves abruptly. I can never turn the zoom ring smoothly enough to be happy with the shot. All this makes me love the multispeed motorized zoom lens on my Sony camcorder. I really want something like that for the DSLR when using it in movie mode.

This is pretty much the last chance to stop myself before wasting all sorts of time on this build. It occured to me that I should at least ask if there is something like this that is already for sale, off the shelf. If not, should I be thinking about selling copies of what i make? What do real cinematographers use to make real documentaries and real movies? There just has to be some sort of motorized lens zoomer for those big panavision cameras right? Or do they rely on less sticky lenses and more skilled camera operators? I assume this should be a rails mounted device like a conventional follow focus. Do most rail systems use a standardized diammeter for the rods and a standardized separation between the two rods? Suppose I built my lens mover to fit on the JAG35 baseplate and rail system. Would it be compatable with most other rail systems? Is there some list of those rail systems which share a common rail diammeter and spacing? Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome at this point. Does Mr B have any pictures of something like this on a 35mm motion picture camera? Anyone?

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 am

Post Re: Electronic Follow Focus/zoom
sound of the wind.

a tumbleweed rolls by

somewhere in the distance a dog barks

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 am

Post Re: Electronic Follow Focus/zoom
sciencelookers wrote:
sound of the wind.

a tumbleweed rolls by

somewhere in the distance a dog barks

Not my fault. I didn't post any videos ;)

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 am