It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 am

Info on the new RED cameras released 

Post Info on the new RED cameras released
The info on the RED new scarlet and EPIC are out at: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21835 - my first impression which are solely based on my needs (or perceived needs as a Time Lapse Shooter) is the camera(s) missed the mark - sensor too small on the lower base scarlet and the larger sensor scarlet won't do the 120 FPS (and it way too expensive) also the smaller sensor scarlet won't let me use SLR lenses (so I've got to purchase a whole new set of glass) - I don't see getting a decent set up for under $10,000. So currently I'm not going to cancel my Canon 5D mark II, and my next purchases (hopefully) will be to upgrade my lenses. I'm not going to rule out the RED for a future purchase - it's just not in the cards currently.

just my 2ยข
Tim T

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 am
Post Re: Info on the new RED cameras released
I like the c-mount... That's actually really cool!

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 am

I'll be dreaming of that 6x17 tonight...

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am

My first impression, 2 cents and opinion is that this new generation of REDs is going to revolutionise film making completely, break the monopoly held by Panavision / Arriflex, sound the death knell of 35mm, and open up the world of large format production to a vast new talent pool, coming as it does precisely as IMAX goes digital, and FullDome goes 4k.

The future's not Orange, its RED.

For us lapsers it'll mean the world and his dog will be shooting hi-res stock shots and driving the price down ever further.

But that's the flip side! The benefits to be had here for DoPs and film making generally are amazing.

D-SLRs will continue to hold a good share of the market, as they are lighter, cheaper and produce v. high quality images. But as an all-in-one production camera package, the REDs are simply unbeatable.

I thought I'd seen the future when I first witnessed SHOWSCAN back in 1987. To this day it is the most phenomenal capture / projection system I've ever seen.....but it totally and utterly failed to catch on. RED, though, doesn't have the cost + infrastructure constraints that SHOWSCAN had, so my prediction is that it's going to be huge.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:45 pm
Site Admin

Epic will annihilate the competition in the cinema industry, IMO, and help speed along the rapid replacement of chemical film.

Scarlet 35mm (both full frame and super 35) will be an amazing option, but it won't come cheap. You're probably looking at $15K minimum, and for all the bells and whistles, much more. The one major drawback to Scarlet, IMO, is the lack of higher framerates. Hopefully if enough people speak up, higher framerates will be offered.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I find the design 'philosphy' behind RED intriguing. My take on it is as follows.

Unlike traditional camera manufacturers who would only release a new model when in the manufacturers opinion it was considered a 'finished' product, the RED approach seems to be to put their product out there, warts and all, and let the users actually do the beta testing for them.

Hence RED have numerous camera 'builds' , each consecutive build # with previous bugs sorted out and new features added.
In early days of ordinary software development a select goup of nerds (with due respect)...would be given beta versions to try, test and debug. Red have applied that existing standard process to actual hardware development as well and this in turn leads to product improvement with very short lead times.

I will be watching this EPIC unfold.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:43 pm
Site Admin

Jim just announced that Scarlet will overcrank. :)

It will probably be cropped-sensor overcranking, but oh well... better than no overcranking.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:59 pm

timescapes wrote:

It will probably be cropped-sensor overcranking, but oh well... better than no overcranking.

you know I was thinking later they would probably do this - the RED One will shoot different size at different frame rates - so the 5K scarlet would probably shoot the 3K at a faster rate - that totally makes sense.

timt

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 pm

timescapes wrote:

I just checked out the red forum an I noticed that the scarlet doesn't do time lapse - however it will shoot 1FPS (which works for a majority of time lapse)

timt

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 pm
pixelbot wrote:
however it will shoot 1FPS (which works for a majority of time lapse)

timt

If you have the space for all the data! How long would this last with a standard drive?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:52 am
Site Admin

pixelbot wrote:
timescapes wrote:

I just checked out the red forum an I noticed that the scarlet doesn't do time lapse - however it will shoot 1FPS (which works for a majority of time lapse)

timt

where did you read this 1 fps thing? like you say, that's perfect for nearly all kinds of timelapse shooting.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:38 pm

timescapes wrote:
where did you read this 1 fps thing? like you say, that's perfect for nearly all kinds of timelapse shooting.

it says on the spec sheet 3k, 1-120FPS (http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22052) - but only the epic or red one mentions time lapse - maybe there definition of time lapse is anything slower than 1 FPS - but you could always shoot 1 FPS and then speed it up in After Effects - of course if you are shooting plants at like 1 frame per 5 minutes that wouldn't work.

timt

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Post A change is coming..
And then... it all changes!

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22754

what do they have up their sleeve now?
:)

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:44 am
Site Admin

I'm seriously having trouble guessing what Jim might announce on Dec 3rd that could make his last announcement "insignificant." :o

Some possibilities: Better dynamic range. Monstro sensor being sped into production. A 3K/high-fps 35mm Scarlet. Who knows!

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:01 am