It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:06 am

time-lapse with 5d2 

Post time-lapse with 5d2
Does the 5d2 have an internal intervalometer? Can two(2) 5d2 cameras be run from one of the cameras?

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:39 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: time-lapse with 5d2
there is no internal intervalometer on the 5D2. However, you could just set it to video, lock the auto exposure (so it doesn't jump around) and then record about 12 minutes of 1080p video, then speed it up in post to produce timelapse. This would only work if the action you are capturing goes fast, like quick-moving clouds or people walking around, etc.

Otherwise, the 5D2 is just like any other DSLR in terms of timelapse. You could split your intervalometer's wire (into a Y) to control two cameras. That should be fairly easy, though I have never done it myself.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks. I was just hoping Canon would have taken this opportunity to ad that feature. Currently I'm using a couple of multiple camera intervalometer set-ups where I have either split the wire, Pocketwizard or a custom unit from one of my engineer buddies. It's just more stuff to carry around. Currently I'm shooting with two 1Ds Mk ll bodies all wire together. Some Nikon models allow you to connect two cameras by cable and run both with internal a intervalometer. I was kinda jealous.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:04 pm
Site Admin

yeah, it really is silly that canon won't put an intervalometer on its high-end dslrs. there are not complicated devices.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:26 pm

tmophoto wrote:
you can fire a ton of cameras at once with a single canon remote. I have fired off 3 canons and 2 pentaxes all at once with a single canon tc80 remote. I have also tested some ridiculous long distances (up to 100 feet) and it worked perfectly.

you can cut the cord on the canon remote, add in 1/8" headphone jack plugs then get some headphone splitters and headphone extension cords. it can all be done very inexpensively and all of the cameras are perfectly synched (no radio issues, etc..)
t

Great to hear that! Did you build the N3 plug yourself, like the one here: http://www.spikey-mike.com/eos/index.html?
They are terribly expensive if bought from Canon...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:51 am

I'm using a Pocket Wizard Plus. That has an intervalometer, I use that with a simple cable to the 5D2 socket.

Quite an expensive solution perhaps just for timelapse, but I bought a pair of these for syncing pro flash units, so its nice to find this feature included. Only problem with this is that 1 second is the minimum resolution. I'd like to get down to 1/2 a second.

These units can do quite a lot of other things beside basic flash sync and timelapse and seem quite sturdy compared to other radio remotes I've used.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 pm