It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Time Lapse Engine Errors 

Post Time Lapse Engine Errors
I posted this over at the OpenMoCo forum but have not had any luck so I though I would post it here.

I am having a problem getting the TL V0.82 engine loaded onto the Arduino. I keep getting these errors and I am not sure exactly how or if I need to change the code to make it work.

OpenMoco_Timelapse_Engine.cpp: In function 'void serial_write(byte)':
OpenMoco_Timelapse_Engine.pde:-1: error: 'BYTE' was not declared in this scope
As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported.
Please use Serial.write() instead.
OpenMoco_Timelapse_Engine.cpp: In function 'void serial_write(unsigned int)':
OpenMoco_Timelapse_Engine.cpp: In function 'void serial_write(long unsigned int)':
OpenMoco_Timelapse_Engine.cpp: In function 'void serial_write(long int)':

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards,
Jon

Sat May 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Post Re: Time Lapse Engine Errors
Does anyone use the OpenMoCo TL engine anymore? It seems like it would be a great system and I would really like to get it up and running but I can't figure out what I am missing or doing wrong here. Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jon

Mon May 21, 2012 1:22 pm

The issues you're seeing are because the OM TLE was developed against an older version of the Arduino software, I'd try with version 0.23 instead of 1.0.

Now, as to anyone using OMTLE these days, not a lot are - but we (DP) are in the process of releasing an entirely new version, with a new model of operation (multi-axis with one arduino per axis instead of 4 axis per arduino), and a new graphical version of Slim. This should be released, along with a specialized version of the Arduino (with integrated stepper driver, RS-485 bus, and optocouplers) within the next 30 days. In fact, I'm working on a project related to the graphical slim right now =)

!c

Wed May 30, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks for your response! What you said makes sense now. I will give an earlier version a try.
I am definitely interested in the new system you are working on and I will keep an eye out for it.
Thanks again,
Jon

Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 pm

shutterdrone wrote:
The issues you're seeing are because the OM TLE was developed against an older version of the Arduino software, I'd try with version 0.23 instead of 1.0.

Now, as to anyone using OMTLE these days, not a lot are - but we (DP) are in the process of releasing an entirely new version, with a new model of operation (multi-axis with one arduino per axis instead of 4 axis per arduino), and a new graphical version of Slim. This should be released, along with a specialized version of the Arduino (with integrated stepper driver, RS-485 bus, and optocouplers) within the next 30 days. In fact, I'm working on a project related to the graphical slim right now =)

!c

Very happy to read that an Arduino with stepper driver is going to be released. Just need someone to solder the bits together...

One question: an Arduino on steroids which can be controlled by an RS-485 bus. Ain't is possible to create a seperate arduino-based host which functions as a control center for all axis and can be programmed/monitored by any device via a webserver (http/html)? Compare it to a setup like the 'Kessler Fusion'. No need for seperate programs for Mac/Win/Android/iOS.

I saw some 'Noduino' info on internet for creating a webserver, i can program, however I'm a complete null in electronics. What do you think?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:42 am

avdpeijl wrote:
Very happy to read that an Arduino with stepper driver is going to be released. Just need someone to solder the bits together...

One question: an Arduino on steroids which can be controlled by an RS-485 bus. Ain't is possible to create a seperate arduino-based host which functions as a control center for all axis and can be programmed/monitored by any device via a webserver (http/html)? Compare it to a setup like the 'Kessler Fusion'. No need for seperate programs for Mac/Win/Android/iOS.

I saw some 'Noduino' info on internet for creating a webserver, i can program, however I'm a complete null in electronics. What do you think?

Yes, in fact we're even releasing a full set of AVR libraries, including control libraries (MoCoBus "Master") that offer complete control over the nanoMoCo firmware for up to 32 devices from an Arduino. (We'll be making custom controllers in addition to computer-based software using these libraries. The goal is to have a system with all the components needed for any sort of system design.)

The only soldering you would have to do w/ the nanoMoCo is attaching the appropriate headers for your purpose - all components will be already placed on the boards b/c they are very small (0402 components, QFN packages, etc.). You could add an RS-485 transceiver easily to any arduino, and also use, say, an ethernet shield to get your connectivity.

It's also worth noting that it would be very easy to make an embedded webserver using the OM Qt libraries running on an inexpensive linux device like the Raspberry Pi, or any of the other low-cost ARM boards that are coming out right now, and have a more powerful webserver for about the same price as an arduino + ethernet shield, it just would use a bit more power =)

!c

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 am