It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Camblock on kickstarter. 

Post Camblock on kickstarter.
I like what they have done here. It is not inexpencive, but it is nice to see a new take a tilt.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cam ... y?ref=live

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 am

Post Re: Camblock on kickstarter.
<soupbox>
Its seems odd to me that Camblock is using Kickstarter. I hope that doesn't become a trend for established companies.

The other thing that seems odd is that most campaigns with people working in their garage almost always have a working prototype. Why couldn't Camblock actually produce a prototype?

</soupbox>

That being said the tilt is pretty ingenious.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah I saw this yesterday and wondered why such an established company would need to use kickstarter, but do agree that the tilt on the nodal plane is ideal, and havn't seen many (or any?) systems incorporate that

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey guys, this is Stewart from camBLOCK. When doing the kickstarter we were a little concerned about how it would be perceived. In the end we decide to just move forward with it because I'd much rather have our new product funded by the people that use it than by a third party who would want control and/or drive up prices.

CamBLOCK is an extremely small company, and the reason we've been successful is because we deliver a solid product and work tirelessly to make our customers happy. We do this because we love what we do, and every system we sell basically pays for it's self. It took me years to develop the camBLOCK system, the development was funded by my own freelance cameraman jobs and credit cards. Now, we have the camblock construction pipeline working well, but this new product is a new animal, and having the kickstarter funds all at one time will let us develop the Adventure in months instead of years.

CamBLOCK has been fully adopted by the high end natural history shooters over the past several years. BBC/Discovery series like Wild Planet, Wild Arabia, Africa 3D all use our system. So does NFL Films, TNT Sports, dozens of small production companies, and three 3D Imax productions. We are partly responsible for the explosion of timelapse shown on television, and we've seen demand grow. For every system we sell, we have many more requests for a smaller and less expensive system, so Adventure is the answer to that request.

We have gotten a very positive response so far with our Kickstarter campaign, and I hope it continues. We are a little strange for a kickstarter, since we are selling a relatively expensive product, but we hope it works out. And, the kickstarter process gives us a direct dialoge with our customers and has actually changed the product design already. We've decided to make the dolly axis detachable so it can be be used in a vertical rig configuration in the future, and a few other minor changes like integrated camera power ports. We are pouring all our experience of the last 5 years into this system, to make the most bullet proof portable motion control system possible... at a price a typical DSLR professional can afford.

Our new product, the camBLOCK Adventure, can be found on Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cam ... tilt-dolly

If you have any direct questions let me know, I'm happy to answer them.
Stewart Mayer – camBLOCK inventor/owner

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum Stewart.

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and explaining your position.

I would suggest showing the prototype I've seen in the picture on the Kickstarter video. Even if the design is not final, it says a lot to have one as a proof of concept. I don't doubt the project will be successful but I for one, not having dealt with you company before, would not buy into this project without seeing it work.

I wish you well with your project.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Just wanted to give every an update on our Kickstarter Project - camBLOCK Adventure is taking shape and will begin shipping by the end of the year. We've got a lot more information on our website at http://www.camblock.com/shop/adventure/ and we've also started taking pre-orders for the first systems that will ship after we fill our Kickstarter orders.

Details:
  • 3 Axis: Pan/Tilt/Dolly integrated Portable Motion Control System
  • Track length: 8.3 feet (5 pairs of extendable track that are 20″ each)
  • Unique patent-pending tilt mechanism allows for nodal moves and eliminates bulk of L-Mount
  • Designed to support cameras weighing up to approx. 15lbs – such as DSLRs, RED Epics, and other digital cinema cameras.
  • Camera shutter trigger with cables available for most major DSLRs and some cinema cameras (Like the RED Epic)
  • Integrated WiFi – Connect to your network or operate in Access Point mode
  • iPad Application for wireless programming and joystick control
  • Power Source: 12-16VDC, Likely mounting options for Anton-Bauer Dionic and Sony BP-U30.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:00 pm

great news :)

Much more in my budget.
Will there be an option to rise the pan/tilt head over the rails like on the camblock modular ?
Could be great for frontal dolly moves ;)

Thanks

Nikon D800 - Canon 5DMkIII- scalped 10.5 - 15mm sigma - 14/24 - 17/35 - 24/70 - 70/200 - 28/300 105 macro - 50 f1.4 - 85 f1.4- 24 f1.4

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:43 am

I don't know. $3,500 for an "interesting" design pan tilt timelapse setup doesn't seem so cheap. Going on Kickstarter seems more like a PR exercise than a necessity for such an established company... make it out of plastic and sell it for half that maybe... btw isn't nodal irrelevant for timelapse? If anyone knows a reason why it's good then please explain...

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 am

geraldft wrote:
I don't know. $3,500 for an "interesting" design pan tilt timelapse setup doesn't seem so cheap. Going on Kickstarter seems more like a PR exercise than a necessity for such an established company... make it out of plastic and sell it for half that maybe... btw isn't nodal irrelevant for timelapse? If anyone knows a reason why it's good then please explain...

It's less expensive than other pro solutions like the SFH-30. The design allow for more flexibility that the normal L-bracket type head.

It not just for timelapse. The CamBlock can also be used as a Gigapixel type device and nodal can be important for stitching images. We've found nodal important in macro work as well.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:41 am

Can you explain how it is more flexible? I can't see it. Besides there are other options than MRMC ... Also, they use robotics grade gears and are real time not just timelapse - so not comparable.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 am

geraldft wrote:
Can you explain how it is more flexible? I can't see it. Besides there are other options than MRMC ... Also, they use robotics grade gears and are real time not just timelapse - so not comparable.

I would say that they are comparable. The Adventure is stop-motion, timelapse and real-time.
I don't know exactly what CamBlock are using inside the Adventure. I would certainly test thoroughly before buying. Yes, the bearing inside the SFH-30 is a fancy harmonic drive. You sort of get what you pay for.

You can get steeper angles on the Adventure depending on the length of the camera. We've had issues with the SFH-30 where a camera plate can hit the base when tilting. We work around it, mount the camera upside down, re-position lens motors and rail mounts etc. but time is money. Also, we sometime mount an object on the head and keep the camera static. A flat platform is versatile.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks for clarification - Maybe define realtime - what is max deg per second? How well does it work with a long lenses or closeup?

If you use a small Manfrotto slider plate you can get the angles. An L head can also be used underslung. It's the most versatile by definition. Nothing will be as accurate as HD gears, they are expensive for a reason.

Not sure about MRMC software though? Dito is a cheaper alternative? But not heard much from users...

But really - Kickstarter? That's just marketing isn't it...

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 am

geraldft wrote:
First define realtime - what is max deg per second? How well does it work with a long lens or closeup?

If you use a small Manfrotto slider plate you can get the angles. An L head can also be used underslung. It's most versatile.

Nothing will be as accurate as HD gears, they are expensive for a reason. Not sure about MRMC software though? Dito is a cheaper alternative? But not heard much from users...

But really - Kickstarter? That's just marketing...

Realtime = standard panning speeds. We use it way, way below that speed.

Kickstarter = pre-sales. Nothing inherently wrong with that.

Underslinging has it's own issues.

If you're using MRMC kit I can't see why Manfrotto would even enter the conversation.

Used the Flair system. It powerful but complicated. Still runs on XP ;-) Not used Aeon. The CamBlock software looks nice although I haven't used it.

Dito and Kessler are a different type of product IMO.

We've derailed this thread.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 am
Site Admin

Hey Stew, welcome to the forum, my friend. :)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 am

Sorry Jam - I'm just a bit too sceptical maybe... I suppose discussion of kickstarter belongs elsewhere. That's just opinion.

Still - When defining panning speeds some numbers might help. Otherwise there is no way to make comparisons.

With regard to offsetting a camera, there are many options, it doesn't need to be Manfrotto. It was just an example.

PS [edit] it is an interesting design - reminds me of a geared head in its action, but with more range. Hopefully it's designed so it doesn't get sloppy after a while... given all those linkages.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

It's a nice idea... wish I'd thought of it ;)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:55 am