It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:48 pm

How to Bramp? 

Post How to Bramp?
Hi,

I have a Little Bramper, but for various reasons it has sat in a draw ever since I got it with only a few test runs under its belt. I want to give it another shot, and have finally got hold of a neutral density filter - the lack of which was why I never really got going with the Little Bramper before.

So, having read the manual, I am going to give it another go, but wanted to ask for advice on a couple of points. My intended shot is going to be a city skyline, with the sun in frame, and still above the horizon. The neutral density filter seems to be key here, so that I can start off with the kind of shutter speeds that the manual suggest - a minimum of 150 ms.

The manual talks about the default settings of the Little Bramper allowing for a change of 2 stops per 10 minutes, which fits in with the level of light change at twilight - I get this - but presumably whilst the sun is still in the sky I don't want to be ramping up my bulb exposure time, but keeping the exposure time constant until the light starts to drop at twilight.

Does this mean that I should start off without any ramping, and only start to ramp when the setting sun starts to be blocked by the skyline, or should I start ramping from the off, and simply ramp slower so that the exposure doesn't become too long whilst the sun is still in the sky?

Thanks

Paul

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:55 am

Post Re: How to Bramp?
Get that Bramper out! It's a great tool. Make sure you have a good ND filter (I use the B+W MRC series). If you are going to include the sun in the frame, you will want a multicoated filter.

If you start shooting in mid afternoon, then you don't need to ramp the exposure right away. I start ramping the exposure a little before the light changes (maybe 30-40 minutes before sunset) and slowly start increasing my exposure by .10 stops at a time. I try to keep the adjustments somewhat evenly spaced (for example every 30 frames), but in .10 increments you usually won't see the individual steps in the finished footage. I usually end up at about +1.5 stops, because I've been ramping for the entire time the light was changing...sometimes +2.0 stops if I get behind. To do it this way, you need to be observant - if you get behind and notice your exposures are becoming darker than the actual scene appears to your eyes, you're probably already hosed. Having the sun in the frame is tricky, as it will essentially make your histogram useless...I would err toward more exposure unless your camera has great shadow recovery, but you may need to make a practice run to get things dialed in.

Also, always shoot in RAW and try to expose to the right without blowing highlights - this will make for much less noise in the finished footage as you ramp up the ISO and exposure times. You can always darken portions of the sequence in post (assuming highlights aren't blown) via LR timelapse. If the sun is in the frame, it's a balancing act...if you blow out the highliights too much you will end up with a big white blob where the sun is.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Post Re: How to Bramp?
Pleased to say that spare time and weather conditions finally collided, and managed to get a good result last night that at least acts as a benchmark for future experiments.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Paul

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 am