It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm

Settings for a exhibition-timelapse 

Post Settings for a exhibition-timelapse
Hi!
I'm planning a timelapse of the construction of a exhibition. The construction will take place over two days.
The finished timelapse will consist of people moving around, tractors and other machinery, and the "building" of booths, stands etc.

I have considered these settings:
Finished movie= 60 sec
fps = 25
Intervall = 30 sec
Recording time: approx 12 hours

I don't want the movie to be longer that 60 seconds. My question is in regard of the intervall - should it be shorter than 30 sec to get an interesting timelapse?
I read somewhere that a timelapse of people should have an intervall round 5 secs.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:34 am

Post Re: Settings for a exhibition-timelapse
Given that it's a short term time-lapse (as opposed to months), and due to the changing dynamics of the scene, I'd definitely recommend shooting faster than every 30 sec. You can always decimate the number of pics in post.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 am

DigiSnapMark wrote:
Given that it's a short term time-lapse (as opposed to months), and due to the changing dynamics of the scene, I'd definitely recommend shooting faster than every 30 sec. You can always decimate the number of pics in post.

Yeah agreed. I'd just throw a huge memory card in and shoot every 6-10 seconds. That way you can slow down certain parts of the video in post if there is interesting action happening.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

please also drag the shutter - it makes it much more enjoyable to watch

tt

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi again, and thx for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Regarding shutter speed, I was planning on going for 1/50 , but then I guess a slower shutter speed is recommended?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 am

If you have many more frames than you need, you can always remove them. If you don't have them, you're screwed.
So shoot at one second intervals.

I say this because the action you have described, " ... will consist of people moving around, tractors and other machinery, and the "building" of booths, stands etc.," is not linear and the items in motion are not moving at the same speed. The wall of a booth, for instance, can appear instantaneously if your interval is 5 seconds. At one second intervals, the wall will rise.
A tractor pushing dirt around will need 5 or more seconds between exposures to make the path it takes obvious to the viewer.
If you could choreograph the installation, you could ask the teams to erect one booth or stall at a time, working in a pattern, and assemble the video so the booths pop onto the screen by removing all of the intermediate frames. That might require shooting with at least two cameras, though, so you have the overall wide shot and then a series of interesting closeups.

Hope this goes well for you.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:18 pm

mrCreosote wrote:
Hi again, and thx for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Regarding shutter speed, I was planning on going for 1/50 , but then I guess a slower shutter speed is recommended?

yeah 1/50 would be too fast - check to see if you can shoot 1/6 to 1/4 of a sec at least the people will be less staccato (just appearing and disappearing) and more flowing - you should do a test to see what looks the best for your project.

tt

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 pm

bogiesan@mac.com wrote:
If you have many more frames than you need, you can always remove them. If you don't have them, you're screwed.
So shoot at one second intervals.

I say this because the action you have described, " ... will consist of people moving around, tractors and other machinery, and the "building" of booths, stands etc.," is not linear and the items in motion are not moving at the same speed. The wall of a booth, for instance, can appear instantaneously if your interval is 5 seconds. At one second intervals, the wall will rise.
A tractor pushing dirt around will need 5 or more seconds between exposures to make the path it takes obvious to the viewer.
If you could choreograph the installation, you could ask the teams to erect one booth or stall at a time, working in a pattern, and assemble the video so the booths pop onto the screen by removing all of the intermediate frames. That might require shooting with at least two cameras, though, so you have the overall wide shot and then a series of interesting closeups.

Hope this goes well for you.

I agree with overshooting, but...

1*60*60*12= 43,200 pictures

That's just stupid.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm