It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

The WB question 

Post The WB question
Hey guys,
I'm using a Nikon D90 and I've done a time-lapse once and attempting to have another try, now here's a question about White Balance.

When taking a holy grail shot, the exposure control is aperture advanced or bulb ramping, etc. But when taking a holy grail shot, not only the exposure changes, but also the color temperature, that cause a question about the White Balance. Before the sunset, the color temperature is lower and I have to set a higher WB to adjust it, and after sunset, the color temperature go higher and I have to set the WB lower: When using the AutoWB, it may cause flicker, and when using a manual WB, it's hard to control.
So, could someone tell me how do you guys deal with this problem?Thank you very much!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:48 am

Post Re: The WB question
If you're shooting jpeg, you're probably not going to get a good result. There are a few ways to make it better but nothing that works well, in my experience.

I'd suggest shooting in RAW and then adjusting either manually in Lightroom or using a program such as LRTimelapse or Panolapse to create a gradual color change between day and night. You might be able to find a free program that does this but I've only used the two I mentioned. Manually changing the temperature means adjusting each photo in increments (e.g. 4300K, 4305K, 4310K, etc.) between the first and last exposures. The software will just do this automatically.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 am

Basically if you shoot raw you can progressively change the tint etc (but not the actual white balance number yet) in After Effects.
You will have the full dynamic range to work with, so can add key frames to adjust the picture incrementally as needed.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Here's a very short day-to-night clip I made with Panolapse a couple weeks ago to test out the software. I began an hour before sunset and finished an hour after. I had to deflicker it after export but Panolapse seems to do an ok job at gradual WB adjustments if you're looking for something reasonably priced.

I shot RAW in Av mode and edited eight keyframes. It took a few times before I was able to get a smooth result but I think the finished video came out well.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:12 pm

TimeLapseBlog.com wrote:
If you're shooting jpeg, you're probably not going to get a good result. There are a few ways to make it better but nothing that works well, in my experience.

I'd suggest shooting in RAW and then adjusting either manually in Lightroom or using a program such as LRTimelapse or Panolapse to create a gradual color change between day and night. You might be able to find a free program that does this but I've only used the two I mentioned. Manually changing the temperature means adjusting each photo in increments (e.g. 4300K, 4305K, 4310K, etc.) between the first and last exposures. The software will just do this automatically.

Thank you for answering! I've tried the LRTimelapse but not familiar yet, I just used it to deflicker, gotta try the color change later.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Antz wrote:
Basically if you shoot raw you can progressively change the tint etc (but not the actual white balance number yet) in After Effects.
You will have the full dynamic range to work with, so can add key frames to adjust the picture incrementally as needed.

Yes I shoot raw and I'll try it later, thank you!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:53 pm