It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 am

Shutter life on a Canon 550D 

Post Shutter life on a Canon 550D
Hello there !

I've looked in the forums for answers but what I found didn't satisfied me.
I'm having several questions regarding timelapses and shutter life on a Canon 550d !

I've been making timelapses for 2 years now with my 550D and I took approx. 40.000 photos during that time, let's say 30.000 from timelapses and 10.000 from regular photos.
On that period I've been using magic lantern all along, especially for the integrated intervallometer that I always use. All my shots are in RAW.

Until today I never thought I should worry about my shutter life, but... On magic lantern I've been able to see that my 550D shutter is now over 70.000 shots taken, so yeah, now i'm worried ! But there's a few things I haven't understood regarding the shutter and how it can damage itself :

When Canon specify a 'number of shots' for a shutter, I know it's average and can last longer (or not), but what is it referring to ?
Is it the mechanical button we push to take a picture ? (I've seen ppl saying that there shutter were dead and they were able to continue taking photos using the button on a grip.)
Or is it the mechanical part near the mirror ? (I've seen ppl saying we can change the shutter ? Is it possible ?)

I know a lot of ppl worries too much about shutter life, but I do have a huge usage of my DSLR so if I can extend is life a little bit longer... That would be great !
And I don't plan on stopping taking timelapses thought...! Let's hope my 550D will last longer than average, which is 100.000 according to Canon and this database : http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos550d.htm
And we can see that there's still ppl that went over 200.000 and even 300.000 shots !

I've read something about 'taking pictures in silent mode' to spare the shutter but I haven't understood how that can help - neither how to do it.
Is there really some 'ways' to spare the shutter ?
If someone has already struggled with those problems, a little bit help would be great !

Thanks in advance
Kudsi

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:46 am

Post Re: Shutter life on a Canon 550D
I've had two Canon 1100D bodies that hit 200,000+ actuations and they are still going strong so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the price of shooting timelapse. The way I look at it is that it makes you think more carefully about what you shoot as it's not without consequence. In the days when I shot timelapse on a 16mm Arri film camera the price of failure was much higher ;)

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for your feedback !

In the meantimes, I made some more digging around the 'silent pic' mode of Magic Lantern, and it turns out that this feature is still under development for High-Res RAW pics.
You can find all the info about it on this link : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index. ... ic=12523.0

But this is not a stable build - so I won't try to test it right now, mainly because I don't know how to compile it for my 550D, and also because I would be very disappointed to break/burn my camera while testing some stuff to prevent my camera (shutter) to break in the first place...!

So, as you said eggmedia, the best way to deal with it right now is to think more carefully before shooting something !

Anyway, does anyone else with 550D had/have a long shutter life ?

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:36 am

I think I'm around 80,000 or 90,000 now with my 550D. But as already said above, it's the price for doing timelapse ;)

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 am