It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:58 am

Long time time lapse enclosure 

Post Long time time lapse enclosure
Does anyone have any reccomendations for getting enclosures made for long term time lapse? I am based in UK

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:40 am

Post Re: Long time time lapse enclosure
harbortronics

photosentinel

Erdman video systems

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 am

sciencelookers wrote:
harbortronics

photosentinel

Erdman video systems

Thanks, but it is just the enclosure that I need. All of these only seem to sell as packages

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:40 am

I think harbortronics sells the case by itself if you want. Not sure about the others.

You can always make your own out of any waterproof container. here is a link to some of my garage built timelapse stuff. This is stuff I made when i was just starting in digital timelapse and can be made with normal hand tools found in most garage workshops. It should be easy to build yourself if you want.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sciencelo ... 605945909/

A great enclosure can be made out of a Pelican case with a hole cut and an oversize UV filter glued in the hole. Keep it in the shade or have a wood enclosure with vents around it. Direct sun can bake your camera in the box.

Mailboxes are made to keep your mail dry when it rains and they are cheap. Raise the camera up above the floor just a bit using something that doesn't wick water. If its going to sit in the sun, you can put a regular mailbox inside one of those extra big ones and have lots of large vent holes in the big one to keep the little one cooler. The raised block the camera is attached to should be firmly attached and your mailbox should be rigidly mounted so wind doesn't move it around. Make a short test film before committing to a long duration run.

If you like the domes, just google something like plexiglass hemispheres or plastic domes or something like that. There are lots of places that heat form plexiglass sheets into all sorts of domes and skylights and do custom sizes.

I also make one-offs and limited production items for film makers and advanced amateurs. Some of the things most often asked for are for sale on the stepoutmoco.com website. You can just type sciencelookers.com and you'll be redirected there. The tab at the top called "shop" and you'll be taken to a short list of stuff available now. Its not complete by any means. For example, the small, economy lens motors seen in the kickstarter bundle are available separately as is the mini DF Dragonframe interface. use the "contact" tab or PM me or email sciencelookers@aol.com if you want us to make something for you.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:43 am

I've built a couple boxes out of Pelican cases and drilled/cut windows for the lens port and cables for power when needed. Works nicely and is fairly inexpensive if you have the appropriate tools (drill, jigsaw, etc). For windows, I've used plexiglass instead of the UV filter route simply because I never quite figure out the best way to drill a perfect circle that large that the UV filter fit in perfectly. A piece of plexiglass works, is very cheap, and with some caulk it is waterproof but also very scratch prone. As Scienceloookers pointed out, you need to shade the box itself (especially if it is black) or otherwise it will fog up with changes in heat.

Good luck!

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 am

I used plexiglass too, it works fine. Someone said it was no good because it wasn't "optical quality" or some such thing, so I used the big UV filter and got no more baseless complaints.

Scribe the outline of the small part of the filter, where the threads are. Cut the hole just a little small. Use a dremel tool or a half round file to gradually increase the size of the hole. Keep checking it with the filter often as you go. When the hole is almost big enough, you can force-thread the filter into the hole. Carefully smear epoxy on the threads and the edge of the hole and screw the filter back into the hole. Make sure no epoxy gets on the glass. controlling the shape and size of the hole is a slow and time consuming process, but its the most efficient way for a one off or a small number.

If you find a hole saw and filter size that work, it would make this a lot easier.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:52 am

note that any plexi or filters infront of the lens can create internal reflections - don't know the solution just stating a gotcha before it getcha

tt

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 am

If you use Pelican cases, the cubed foam can hold your camera lens right up against the window. If using a different enclosure, fasten the camera as close to the window as possible to avoid reflections inside the case.

Always do a short test to find these sort of problems before committing to a long term run.

Funny story, back in the glory days when a full length timelapse feature film was something new and novel, these guys built their own 70mm timelapse camera just to do the film. Not sure if it was Chronos or Baraka or which one. At any rate, they just managed to finish building the camera before they had to get it on a plane to Egypt, then onto a boat and up the nile to some remote site where they planned to begin filming. When they turned the camera on, smoke came out and it didn't run. Someone made a trek into the nearest town, a day or two away and bought he only tools in town, a pliers and a couple of screwdrivers. They made it back to the shoot site and eventually managed to get the camera running. Moral of the story, always test stuff at home, always do some short runs before moving to any remote location or beginning any long duration shooting.

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:32 am

I build a little platform, typically out of aluminum angle iron, inside the pelican to mount the camera to. This gives a nice solid mounting point. Also, the lens is basically as close as possible to the front filter/plexi to eliminate as many reflections as possible and in my limited tests, I haven't had any reflection problems.

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:04 am

sciencelookers wrote:
I think harbortronics sells the case by itself if you want. Not sure about the others.

You can always make your own out of any waterproof container. here is a link to some of my garage built timelapse stuff. This is stuff I made when i was just starting in digital timelapse and can be made with normal hand tools found in most garage workshops. It should be easy to build yourself if you want.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sciencelo ... 605945909/

A great enclosure can be made out of a Pelican case with a hole cut and an oversize UV filter glued in the hole. Keep it in the shade or have a wood enclosure with vents around it. Direct sun can bake your camera in the box.

Mailboxes are made to keep your mail dry when it rains and they are cheap. Raise the camera up above the floor just a bit using something that doesn't wick water. If its going to sit in the sun, you can put a regular mailbox inside one of those extra big ones and have lots of large vent holes in the big one to keep the little one cooler. The raised block the camera is attached to should be firmly attached and your mailbox should be rigidly mounted so wind doesn't move it around. Make a short test film before committing to a long duration run.

If you like the domes, just google something like plexiglass hemispheres or plastic domes or something like that. There are lots of places that heat form plexiglass sheets into all sorts of domes and skylights and do custom sizes.

I also make one-offs and limited production items for film makers and advanced amateurs. Some of the things most often asked for are for sale on the stepoutmoco.com website. You can just type sciencelookers.com and you'll be redirected there. The tab at the top called "shop" and you'll be taken to a short list of stuff available now. Its not complete by any means. For example, the small, economy lens motors seen in the kickstarter bundle are available separately as is the mini DF Dragonframe interface. use the "contact" tab or PM me or email sciencelookers@aol.com if you want us to make something for you.

Thanks for your reply and may be in touch once I know what is happening with the job. I have used wood box enclosures on previous ones but that was when using car batteries for power so needed the extra space but it is just a pain using a box of that size now. CCTV type enclosure is what I was after, that would be able to be drilled into the wall.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 am