It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Sunset to Milkway Timelapse 

Post Sunset to Milkway Timelapse
Hi All ...

I had a decent shot at sunset to night city timelapse with Nikon D750 exposure smoothing feature. It ramps up ISO to compensate the exposure. Settings I used were:

* ISO 100, f4, shutter speed around 1/4 sec. Auto ISO turned ON to use exposure smoothing.
* Used Polariser and 3-stop GND to get that shutter speed during daytime.

This weekend I will be testing it with sunset to milky way timelapse in Smoky mountains. I'm calculating my shutter speed to use during sunset based on what I need to shoot milkyway. I'm guessing milky way can be shot with 35 f/1.4 at 15 sec at ISO 1600. D750 has good high ISO performance, I can probably go to 4 sec and ISO 6400. So setttings I'm planning to use are:

* For sunset, start with ISO 100, f1.4, 4 sec shutter speed. Use CPL to achieve that ss. Interval timing is 5 sec.
* ISO will be ramped automatically by the camera. For milky way, it may use ISO 6400.

Does this sound like a plan? Please correct me if I'm not thinking right.

Thanks

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Post Re: Sunset to Milkway Timelapse
It should work reasonably well. The cameras automatic exposure control will make adjustments in 1/3 F-stop incriments which may be visible in the movie. There are deflicker programs which can smooth it a bit. If you want to smooth it even more, there are bulb ramping intervalometers which work in bulb mode and adjust the exposure in much smaller steps which are not seen in the resulting movie. The best one is called ramperpro, and it can do this automatically with Nikon cameras. Ramperpro is kind of expensive. I have a JSR ramping intervalometer for sale for $100. You can check out the JSR in their tutorial here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmOyvKMYzI

Mine is exactly like the one in the video and was built by John Schnurr himself (its inventor), and mine has the case like the one in the video. They are no longer available assembled or with the case. If you buy a new one, it comes as a kit and there is no case for it. You need to make your own case or just use the bare, unprotected circuit which isn't so good outside in the elements.

So PM me if you want to buy one already built and in the protective case.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:04 am