It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Dealing with Condensation in Long Term Time Lapse 

Post Dealing with Condensation in Long Term Time Lapse
So I am in the final stages of designing and building a bunch of long term time lapse boxes. The last major decision I have to do is how to best deal with fog and condensation. The boxes will be deployed across the state of Florida so while we don't have huge temperature fluctuation, we do have lots of humidity.

Two options...

1) Totally Sealed Box - So my case will be totally waterproof and sealed. I can place some silicone gel inside to help soak up that humidity and hopefully prevent condensation. I also will be placing a roof over the actual case to help shade the direct sun and prevent the rapid heating of the box in direct sun.

2) Open Air Movement - The other option is to basically create some drainage holes that are covered in screen to keep insects out. Camera will be high in the box and there will be some open room at the bottom that will allow air to flow in and out of the box. I'm not sure if this will be enough to allow enough air exchange to prevent condensation.

Personally, I am leaning to option #1 as I like the idea of a sealed box to better protect the cameras for months on end.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas on which will be the better option? Thanks!

Drew

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:05 am

Post Re: Dealing with Condensation in Long Term Time Lapse
Your two approaches are right on point. A box that's only somewhat sealed will act as a moisture pump, and you will actually accumulate liquid water inside.

We use the sealed housing approach. For short term time-lapse, vented housings are fine, but for long term use you would want forced air to be conservative. Forced air means fans, dust filters which need cleaning or replacing, and gobs of power to run the fans. Sealed housings end up less costly in the long run, IMHO.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 pm