It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Opinions/Tips for upcoming job 

Post Opinions/Tips for upcoming job
I have been hired to shoot a time-lapse for a paving company and my client has requested that the time-lapse start out slow and then gradually speed up.

I see two ways of doing this and I want your opinions.

I could shoot the lapse at one interval and then speed it up in post via video software. Or I could adjust the intervals periodically throughout the day.

The shoot will last from morning to early evening. Which would return better quality? Also would interval adjusting work?

For example

First 30 min. (2sec)

Next 30 min (3sec

Next 30 min. (4sec)

(6sec)

Next 3-4 hours (10 sec)

Then reverse.

Also while were on the topic what method of shooting do you recommend. Bulb ramping is out of the question for now, and I am currently planning to use aperture priority then purchase deflicker software. (between GB and panolapse. Leaning toward pano since it comes with rawblend also and costs $20 less)

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Post Re: Opinions/Tips for upcoming job
Hi

I'd suggest doing the vary speed in post. "Quality" won't be any different depending on the method you use. Some varispeed methods will blend frames, which may or may not be a good thing, but not likely evident to the casual observer. It may even help smooth the timelapse. Non-moving components won't be affected. But generally post will afford flexibility which is most important. Otherwise you are stuck with what you shot, if you misjudge the interval changes then it's not so easy to fix.

If in doubt experiment...

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:40 pm

shoot separate timelapses and blend them together after, even if you speed them up after its ok.
Just shoot in manual its in the middle of the day, the exposure wont change much, if its a blue sky day i know that when i shoot in ap i get blue sky flickering which sucks, yes you can deflicker, but if the guys doing the paving are in and out of the shade they will then flicker.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:03 am

If you want to shoot it live with different rates during the day, the DigiSnap 2000 series controllers have been able to do this for about 15 years :) Honestly though, it's probably better to shoot at a rate 2x faster than you think you need, and then massage in post.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 am

Safest to shoot at one speed during the day.
Also it maximizes options in post.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:53 pm