It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:58 am

About Graduate ND filter? 

Post About Graduate ND filter?
Hey guys, I've been thinking some questions about GND. When shooting a holy grail, in the daytimes when skies are bright, a graduate ND filter might be helpful, yet when it turns to night, everything's becoming dark, the filter is no longer needed, so here are my questions: When do you remove the filter? How do you know the exact time that it should be removed, not too early nor too late? And the most confusing problem, which puzzled me the most for a long time is, whenever I remove the GND, part of the picture would suddenly become bright while the rest of it don't, so how do you deal with this? I really cannot figure this out.. :? :?

ps: If I don't use a GND, HDR seems like an alternate and I've looked at several tutorials about creating HDR time lapse, they recommend the 'SNS-HDR', but seems like there's no Mac OS version, so is there any good HDR software for mac?Thx :lol:

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Post Re: About Graduate ND filter?
I`ve thought about this too. You`re right that the point when you take the grad filter off would cause a jump in luminance in the picture. Pity, because grad filters are great, even in the digital age. To me the way around this is to cut to a setting/rising moon/sun as appropriate and then cut back to the scene again, the second part being withouth the filter. A complete uninterrupted "Holy Grail" might be an interesting technical challenge, but hardly a necessity from an artistic point of view.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks for replying, Ian
But sorry I think I don't really get your point..what does it mean when you say that, cut to setting/rising moon/sun as appropriate and then cut back to the scene?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:33 am

Sorry not to be clearer. I mean cut to a setting sun etc in the end product, the video. So you`d split the Holy Grail in 2 parts, the one before the sun clip (with grad filter) and the one after (with filter removed). Maybe cut to the setting sun just as the light leaves the top of the mountain (same for moon). Obviously you`d probably film the sun or moon on separate occasions to the time lapse clip. It is contrived in any way, but none the worse for it.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:22 am

Oh I get it, I just considered the word "setting" as some kind of camera settings...so you mean not to play the clip as a whole part, but two separate clips?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Yes. Hide the join by inserting a setting sun or rising moon clip for example.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Ok, I see, thank you so much!

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

You could make something to slide it out slowly.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:00 pm

You could just do it in software, instead of using a physical GND filter. LRTimelapse is a great tool that allows you to ramp Lightroom gradient filters (or most other Lightroom adjustments) up or down gradually, across any number of frames.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:55 pm

jimre-temp wrote:
You could just do it in software, instead of using a physical GND filter. LRTimelapse is a great tool that allows you to ramp Lightroom gradient filters (or most other Lightroom adjustments) up or down gradually, across any number of frames.

After trying a couple of techniques for using grad ND filters in holy grail timelapses, this is what I've ended up doing. Works pretty nicely, though, as an experienced landscape shooter, not using an ND grad is tough for me, as I know I'm not getting the best quality out of my single raws as I could be!

LRTimelapse is a truly excellent program, well worth the buy.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:44 am