It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 am

300 000JPG's - Help with large scale project 

Post 300 000JPG's - Help with large scale project
Hello everyone,

I require some help figuring out the best workflow for a large scale timelapse project.

My current workflow goes: Raw files > Lightroom > Export to JPG > Import to Premier at 1 jpg/frame > Export Pro-res 422MOV clips > work with these 422MOV's in final project.

I've been given 300 000 (2TB) full res jpgs of a construction project. Importing these jpgs to premier is a slow process.

Basically what im looking for is the best/most streamline workflow to convert these 300 000 jpgs to MOV clips. I have access to all AdobeCC applications. Intermediate experience level working with Premier / Lightroom / PS but no experience working with After Effects.

Project dealine is Feb 2, 2015. I'd like to have a rough draft done by Jan 12.

Any input would be much appreciated. :-)

Best Regards,

Deon

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 am

Post Re: 300 000JPG's - Help with large scale project
Do you have 300,000 jpg or raw? Title says jpeg but then you say you convert from raw in you workflow.

In premiere are you importing the jpegs as individual images at 1 frame per image and then adding them to the timeline? Or are you importing them as an image sequence? Importing as an image sequence should speed things up. Also consider batch resizing the images to 1080p if you don't plan on using digital pan etc...

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 am

wsp35 wrote:
Do you have 300,000 jpg or raw? Title says jpeg but then you say you convert from raw in you workflow.

In premiere are you importing the jpegs as individual images at 1 frame per image and then adding them to the timeline? Or are you importing them as an image sequence? Importing as an image sequence should speed things up. Also consider batch resizing the images to 1080p if you don't plan on using digital pan etc...

I was supplied 300 000 jpg files for this project.

In premiere, I'm dragging photos strait from my mac finder window to premiere timeline. I could attempt your image sequence recommendation. Would prefer not to batch resize.

Thanks for the reply

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:52 am

Using AE to render a TL isn't difficult. I would recommend doing jpg image sequences in AE.

In AE, I make a new composition that is the same size as my full size jpg resolution, import file sequence, drag to time line. Then make a new composition at the size that I want to render to, like 1080, then drag the first composition onto the second composition, resize, and add to render cue.

Honestly, if you know nothing about AE and want to learn, a TL render is an easy project to learn the basics on.

Having 300,000 files might crash doing the method above, if it does then I would take the recommendation of first doing a batch file resize in PS or something.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 am

Never mind what I mentioned about having intermediate experience with Premiere. I'm a total noob aparently. :? :lol:

Thanks wsp35 for the image sequence recommendation. I'm now importing 10 or 20 time's faster. #totalnoob

Next workflow question is about exporting.

Normally I would
A) export jpg's to ProRes 422MOV's.
B) re-import my MOV's into a new project (adjust playback speed, ken-burns ect.) and
C) export final project as 1080 Vimeo pre-set MP4.

I've completed step "A" for about 8% of all jpg's... exported as 1080 ProRes 422MOV... the resulting 12min MOV is a huge 20GB file.

Can anyone recommend an alternative export setting for step "A"? (that would result in smaller files while maintaining decent image quality)

Or

Recommend a better workflow than what I'm using.

Thanks a ton!

Deon

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi!

I would divide into several sequences since 300k is a very large number of photos, and, definitely, would use After Effects to do so, because you can improve your sequences with camera movements and color correction.

Afterwards, I would edit using Premiere, cutting off periods where nothing really happens.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 am

hope your computer is a bit of a monster as at normal speed thats a 2 hour and 8 minute complete video. If your one stretch of footage can hold someones concentration without a change for 2 hours I would be more than absolutely shocked. break it down, depending on your skill level to 10-15 second sequences, start to put them in a different order, Considering the size of each file (roughly 6mb each) they must be off a fairly high megapixel camera, so you will be able to make some of the shots zoomed in, others panning to make it more pleasing.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 am