It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 pm

pregnancy time lapse help 

Post pregnancy time lapse help
Does anyone have any tips on create a pregnancy time-lapse video.
i have been asked by a potential client if it would be possible to create one. I have done time-lapse before but for landscapes, so my question is:
I want the video to last about 2.30 min so i was wondering how many photos i would need (i know landscape would be around 3000 photo but i can't see that is correct for pregnancy)
How often would i need to get them into the studio to take photos

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Post Re: pregnancy time lapse help
2:30 sounds pretty long - I would do a little research on youtube and see what others have done before - imitate what you like about them and improve what you don't think works - I can't imagine that you will ever get a pregnant woman to come in for 3000 photos - that would be over 11 photos a day so you have to shoot every two hours - unless you are attached at the hips there is no what that is ever going to work.

TimT

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:49 pm

On the other hand, she could have you set a dedicated camera in an unused space in her own home, and pose there every few hours. Or once a day, more likely. Then you could post process the images, adding frame to frame smoothing, to extend the length however long she wanted.

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah I was hoping I could aim to get down there twice a week with her. .it all depends how many photos I will need a second in the video.
I know that with landscapes it is 24-30 a second. But I was thinking with a pregnancy that would be way to fast.
Any idea how many a second would be good

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:46 am

If you searched through previous posts, you would find this;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12270

Its awesome. You could PM him if you can't figure out how some of the tricks were done from reading the comments. I sometimes use little slivers of tape or very light pencil marks to mark the previous few positions of things that move. If you get Dragonframe stop motion software, it will let you step through the previous frames to help you make the movement at an even speed.

Another possibility is to use several cameras to capture several different movies. Maybe one can be artistic like the one in the previous thread, while another can be a closeup of the complete lady, and another closer view of the belly. Even an extra camera for redundancy is a good idea. She'd be pissed if you have a camera problem halfway through and tell her she has to do it again. Place tripods someplace they won't be bumped or fasten mounting brackets to walls. Use a coupler to supply external power to the cameras so they don't get bumped when you change the battery.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:57 am

Thanks for that sciencelookers i have sent him a message so hopefully he will reply.
I am thinking round 4 photos per second so about 600 photos for a 2.5 min video

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:30 am

Is there some reason why you don't want 30 frames per second? Do you really want the video to be 2 and a half minutes long? I was never that good at math, but why?

The video in the other thread used up a lot of frames (and seconds) with the kind of artsy stuff I'd think you'd be interested in replicating. The swelling belly part is only going to be 10 seconds if you use one frame from each day. There's no reason not to shoot each day. Maybe shoot several frames or an HDR sequence each day so you have some spare frames in case one doesn't come out as planned. If the swelling takes a lot more than 10 sec, its going to be too slow to be seen as motion. The whole point of timelapse is usually to take events which happen so slowly we can't see the movement directly, and accelerate then until the movement is above our brains motion detection threshold. Then we see the change as movement.

Like construction timelapse, the most important thing is reliability since you're only going to have one shot at it. Multiple cameras would give you two views or more, which works well if played one view after the other in the final video. It also gives you something to work with if one camera gets bumped or craps out halfway through. Small marks on the floor or walls help to get the lady in the same spot each time. The lady in the other video had marks on the floor for her feet and a wall to lean against to get her back in the same place each time.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 am