It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Shooting Raw with a fast frame rate? 

Post Shooting Raw with a fast frame rate?
For the majority of my time lapse shooting, I shoot Raw (when the interval time is 2 seconds or longer.) However, when I'm shooting one frame every second, I'm forced to use jpeg. I admit it would be really cool to be able to shoot one second intervals in Raw. I have a background in film and I admit that I'm not extremely knowledgeable about digital cameras and the associated hardware and storage media etc. With regards to shooting Raw with one second intervals, I'm not sure if I'm limited by my card, the camera or both. I'm currently using the built-in time lapse capability of a Panasonic G6 Micro 4/3 camera. And the card I'm using is a Kingston Class 10, 30MB per second. I have tried shooting one second intervals in Raw with this camera / card combination and it just cannot sustain that speed for very long. Would buying a faster card allow me to achieve what I want or am I limited by the camera itself? In other words, if the camera is the limiting factor, I guess buying the fastest card on the market won't make a difference?

Sat May 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Post Re: Shooting Raw with a fast frame rate?
can you shoot a smaller size..but still raw

Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 pm

TIMETRAVELER wrote:
can you shoot a smaller size..but still raw

I don't think that's an option with my camera. Plus, it would be nice to utilise the full resolution if I ever want to create 4k time lapse videos one day.

Sat May 02, 2015 9:47 pm

With all SD cards the speed you can write data TO them is always slower than the speed you can read that data from them. Often this is a lot slower.
It is the read speed that is normally given as the headline figure as it looks better.

The top makes, especially SanDisk and Kingston, quote the write speed as well the read speed, and their top spec cards write almost as fast as they read. That's one of the differences you are paying for.

I've just had a look at the current spec for their top of the range 'Extreme Pro' cards and they are way higher than a couple of years ago. The prices reflect this as well. I would suggest going for a higher spec card than you have now but hold back on spending hundreds of dollars on the top spec cards until you know your camera can justify it. '600x' speed cards, which have been around for a while now, have up to 90Mb/sec write speed and don't break the bank. see the link below.

http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/san ... 2gb-95mb-s

best of luck

Kit

Sun May 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Depends on camera / card combo.

Only top end cameras with CF / new SD interfaces are really fast.
If you only have an SD slot, I'm pretty sure most recent/current cameras cannot sustain 1fps RAW for very long.
They just weren't designed for it, no way around it.

Maybe if you use 5D3 and above (1D, D4 etc) with fast CF card you can do it...

Mon May 04, 2015 7:31 am