It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Flicker 

Post GBDeflicker Beta (Mac)
It appears that there is a version of GBDeflicker for Mac AE now!:
http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/Download/Downloader.aspx?downloadCode=5

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 am

Post Re: Flicker
WOHOOOO!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Very cool!
:D :D

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:58 am

Post GBDeflicker Mac Beta Test Run
This is basically the same run through that Mike gives on his website, I just wanted to test run it on some flickery TL clips, very happy with the results:

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:10 pm

True that.
I also tried the Mac version and very happy with the results.
Basically saved one of my day to night sequence.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:50 am

Fanto wrote:
True that.
I also tried the Mac version and very happy with the results.
Basically saved one of my day to night sequence.

I tried on a clip I had used GenArts Sapphire DeFlicker plug-in and it was nice that the GraniteBay DeFlicker didn't need key-framing to get thru a section where the element changed color (it was radish sprouts growing thru dirt) I was very happy - I going to have to try it on some other problem clips, like traffic. It doesn't hurt that it only cost so little - for the genarts solution I had to buy a box (or suite of plug-ins) most I won't ever use.

timt

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am

Exactly, cost is so low for a great quality plug-in like that.
Definitely gonna buy and give support to the company.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

I doubt a photo filter like this exist, but a fun experiment would be to take some photochromic glass (the kind used in glasses that can adjust to lighting) and place in front of the lens for a day to night sequence. Now where can you find a sheet of this stuff?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Interesting idea !

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm

I found a glass company out of Virginia that is going to ship me a 4"x4" square of their photochromic glass. I'll post the results of the test here.

A couple of concerns before the test:

As the properties of the glass change and get darker will it remain completely neutral in color?
Is there enough range in the glass from the lightest to the darkest value to set one exposure of a direct sunrise/sunset and have proper exposure throughout the sequence?

This is all news to me but I had no idea of how advanced this window stuff has become. There is even Electrochromic glass that can electronically control the amount of ND. With that type of control I think it would be very possible to integrate a light meter and gradually change ND amount over time or even make it key-framable.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/windows/windows_future.html

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 am

Sputnik wrote:
As the properties of the glass change and get darker will it remain completely neutral in color?
Is there enough range in the glass from the lightest to the darkest value to set one exposure of a direct sunrise/sunset and have proper exposure throughout the sequence?

I suspect you'll have problems on both accounts. Even ND filters designed for photography have issues with color shift, and generally the stronger the filter the worse the shift - so the better you're off on #2, the worse you're probably off on #1. The idea with photochromic glass has actually surfaced a couple of times before on the forum and with negative conclusions. Last time I believe it was due to some discouraging info from a manufacturer, and I don't think anybody actually put it to the test. Will be interesting to see what your findings are.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 am

flyvholm wrote:
The idea with photochromic glass has actually surfaced a couple of times before on the forum and with negative conclusions. Last time I believe it was due to some discouraging info from a manufacturer, and I don't think anybody actually put it to the test. Will be interesting to see what your findings are.

Oh, maybe this is not a worthy endeavor then :(. It's going to be a buck thirty for the custom cut glass but it has not shipped yet.

I wonder if this ever went to market?:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3580148.pdf

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

Sputnik wrote:
Oh, maybe this is not a worthy endeavor then :(. It's going to be a buck thirty for the custom cut glass but it has not shipped yet.

I hope you went ahead and tried this because I'm dying to see if it works! Please let us know! I purchased the Vari-ND for $350 to try a method which of course ended unfavorably. I've always wondered about this idea.

Last summer I was in touch with someone in the forums from CA who said they found a manufacturer of lab ND circular gradient filters. He was trying something with them. But then the forums crashed and I lost all my posts and PMs.

"If you are reading this, please let me know. I've been wanting to get a hold of you" :)

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:32 pm

marshallarts wrote:
[ I purchased the Vari-ND for $350 to try a method which of course ended unfavorably.

Are you able to explain what the unfavourable results were - did you notice a big shift in colour as you rotated the vari-ND ? ...... and any other problems ?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm

I should have elaborated. Quite simply how does one veeeeeeerrryyyyy slowly rotate the filter so it maintains a constant and gradual ND effect? Immediately I realized it would be impractical for a day-to-night time lapse purpose. Even if you were to build a very deliberate, slow-stepping, filter rotator, what I didn't consider is the Vari-ND changes densities logarithmically (not a math guy so forgive me if I'm using that term incorrectly).

It is designed to effectively go to 8 stops (without the dreaded Maltese Cross or severe color shifts -- as explained to me by the inventor whom I talked with for 30 min before buying!) but as you approach the deeper densities the effect goes faster. He even alerted me to this before buying. I asked if it was 'notched' to indicate ND stop effectiveness--if you look at the picture of this filter you will notice harsh marks--but he said those were just for reference because the density happens logarithmically as you rotate it. To attempt to locate the deepest gradients by stop value would be difficult but even harder to program in a rotator.

In addition I bought the Vari-ND-Duo which does have a rather heavy warming filter, I noticed the warming effect also happens exponentially so this would create a further problem. I do not know how a normal (non-warming) Vari-ND would perform color-wise, but I believe it would be darned near impossible to effectively use it to ramp exposure.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi there,

this is my second attempt on timelapse. The gear I am using is a Nikon D700 and a 14-24/2.8 lens @ 14mm.

I set everything to manual: shutter speed / aperture, fixed ISO and manual white balance. Like that, I should not get any flickering, right? But please have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKIsZepcwQ

You can clearly see flickering between second 6 and 12.

One more questions to you timelapse pros out there: Do you think the interval of 5 seconds is too long when played back with 25fps? Should I rather go for 2 or 3 seconds for a scenery like this?

I know about the GBDeflicker plugin but I rather would like to have good quality before post-processing. Is that even possible?

Thanks for your inputs!
Martin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 am

Hey Martin, what aperture are you shooting at? If it is not shot at the minimum or maximum aperture of the lens, flickering can be due to the opening and closing down of the diaphragm between each shot. Mechanically, when the lens stops back down it is not precisely the same aperture as it was in the preceding shot.

This might help you visualize what I'm talking about:

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 am

I'm tempted to call it "Nikon flicker". Nikons appear to have a problem with occasional exposure deviations. It's thought to be aperture flicker for good reasons (it apparently never happens with manual lenses), but I suspect there is something else going on. First, I haven't seen any cases of aperture flicker this bad on Canon cameras while it shows up every now and again with Nikons. Second, the flicker tends to happen in bursts around a shift from darker to brighter exposures or vice versa. Notice in your video how it starts out with darker exposures, then it bounces back and forth for a while and then settles on brighter exposures. I'd expect aperture flicker to be of a more random character. Third, I've had similar deviations happen myself with the lens wide open (incidentally also D700 + 14-24mm).

Of course, if it isn't aperture flicker a very good question is what else could be causing it. It would be something "under the hood" in the camera, an algorithm that can adjust the exposure or image processing slightly even though you'd expect them to be fixed (and depending on lens info since it doesn't happen with manual lenses). That may not sound plausible, but another curiosity about Nikon cameras that isn't plausible either is that EXIF and exposure does not go hand in hand, at least not on automatic settings. That is, EXIF will change when the exposure doesn't change and vice versa. So what Nikon cameras are actually doing, only a Nikon engineer could tell (and they won't).

Advice given previous in the thread still counts though: Use lens wide open and not too fast shutter speed (for as far as possible, unfortunately the two can be mutually exclusive). That should give you flicker-free footage in most cases.

BTW, I think 5 sec interval works well in this shot - neither too fast nor too slow in my opinion.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 am

Quote:
Advice given previous in the thread still counts though: Use lens wide open and not too fast shutter speed (for as far as possible, unfortunately the two can be mutually exclusive). That should give you flicker-free footage in most cases.

ND filters are invaluable, I had lots of flicker problems capturing clouds in daylight until I went up to 16x (6 stops), I'm thinking of a bit more, maybe a polarizer, or 3x... (maybe a bit extreme but I also like to shoot video at 1/50 wide open in direct sunlight)

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 am

I saw that "Nikon flicker" in a clip a customer sent to me. Using a Nikon D3 shooting a bright sky with clouds at 1/4000. I hadn't seen such a bad case before. After a bit of research I found a solution and improved the GBDeflicker algorithm. It produced a very good result. Watch...

In the process I also fixed an "artifact" problem that occured in some clipped footage when processed in 16bit color.

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/tlapse/albums
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/tlapse
Blog: http://tlapse.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tlapse

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:46 am
Hey Mike glad to see you here! 8-)

Are you saying you've got an update for gbdeflicker coming up for 16bit mode? What's the possibility of 32bit mode?? :)

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 am

The current release (1.3.7) will do 16-bit color. I plan to have 32-bit in the CS5 version. I'm sure you know you can use 16-bit filters with 32bit projects, Adobe handles that automatically.

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/tlapse/albums
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/tlapse
Blog: http://tlapse.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tlapse

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 am
Site Admin

Mike, welcome.

I caught some flickering on two important recent shots, so I am planning to drive into GBdeflicker very soon.

I am also planning to buy a new PC in the next 2 weeks or so. If I buy your plugin now and put on my current PC, will I have any DRM-related issues in transferring the plugin to my new PC in two weeks?

Thanks!

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:18 am

tlapse wrote:
The current release (1.3.7) will do 16-bit color. I plan to have 32-bit in the CS5 version. I'm sure you know you can use 16-bit filters with 32bit projects, Adobe handles that automatically.

Awesome to hear Mike. I currently use gbdeflicker on most of my sequences, even when the flicker is almost imperceptible. I also use it on every HDR time lapse in the last step, 32-bit would be sweet (using it to deflicker HDR source data prior to tone mapping for example).

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:26 am

I have read every post in this thread, it's really worthwhile and I appreciate all the collective wisdom here.

Things I've tried so far:

1) VirtualDub works okay for me in general, however the "deflicker" filters don't seem to work very well. I selected some frames and selected the filter, then saved as AVI, and it was very hard for me to tell a difference. This was using the MSU_Deflicker filter on an image sequence where the sun goes down and the stars come out. I have some too-bright frames and a few too-dark frames in this sequence.

2) The "manual lens" trick of not allowing the camera body to control the lens by covering the contact or twisting the lens. Somehow, this makes my camera shoot "faster" and seems to be more in line with the under-exposed look I usually am going for. I like this so far, going to film a time-lapse this way today. Please tell me what the drawbacks are. I normally shoot manual focus with the lens stopped all the way down anyways, on most of my lenses this is f/2.8.

3) I changed the metering time on my camera (Canon 7D) from 4 seconds to 30 seconds. I am thinking this will help even things out and reduce wild swings in the shutter speed when using Aperture Priority.

I am working on custom-building a 2-hour rotating camera mount. Using a watering timer from Home Depot and a Sunpak Fieldmaster Tripod. Wish me luck!

Sun May 02, 2010 6:27 am

DanielDragonFilms wrote:
I normally shoot manual focus with the lens stopped all the way down anyways, on most of my lenses this is f/2.8.

I am a little confused by the terms you us - in my experience "stopped all the way down" would mean a lens setting of f/22 or f/16 (whatever the lenses is when it is closed) f2.8 is wide open - so you are shooting with "twisted lens" method and you want things to be wide open are you selecting that aperture and pushing the DOF check button and then twisting the lens while you have the DOF button pushed? I don't know why the twisted method would produce a different exposure as the same aperture when engaged unless your camera is set so that it compensates for what it now sees a more wide open lens?

timt

Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 am

Flicker is one aspect of timelapse video that I find quite frustrating. This low resolution draft video is 5000 photographs taken over 4 hours on a 7D and twisted 10-22mm lens and polarising filter, 1/25sec f16 iso 100, mRaw files captured to a netbook. I haven't applied any deflicker because there doesn't appear to be any, I'll probably put a deflicker filter through it anyway but it looks preety reasonable to me?? Using similar settings on a shorter timelapse yesterday I couldn't remove the flicker regardless of the filters I tried, I ended up trashing all of the source photographs and I'll tried another day. Why there was such an extreme difference between the two videos I have no idea and that's why I'm frustrated lol

Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Photosbykev wrote:

Flicker is one aspect of timelapse video that I find quite frustrating. This low resolution draft video is 5000 photographs taken over 4 hours on a 7D and twisted 10-22mm lens and polarising filter, 1/25sec f16 iso 100, mRaw files captured to a netbook. I haven't applied any deflicker because there doesn't appear to be any, I'll probably put a deflicker filter through it anyway but it looks preety reasonable to me?? Using similar settings on a shorter timelapse yesterday I couldn't remove the flicker regardless of the filters I tried, I ended up trashing all of the source photographs and I'll tried another day. Why there was such an extreme difference between the two videos I have no idea and that's why I'm frustrated lol

I don't know whether Avisynth is in your workflow or not. If yes, why don't you try my new de-flickering plug-in - I've just announced it a few weeks ago in ''Post Workflow" forum - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2410

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Does anybody know how the "Aperture Jamming" method would work on a Nikon? Say I wanted to stick the aperture at F/8... how would I go about estimating the spot to jam the aperture pin on the lens? I ask this because there are no discrete "stops" when moving the aperture pin back and forth on the lens, so one cannot simply count the number of "clicks" until the correct aperture is set. It is a continuous system with no way to accurately tell which aperture you are at!

Anybody got a trick for this? :D The only lenses I have with aperture rings are a 50mm and an 80-400mm, and when I preset the aperture on those lenses there is virtually no flicker. It's wonderful!

Dylan

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I wrote an article about flicker elimination here with Nikon pro cameras:

http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/time_lapse1.html

Also make sure to shut of autofocus when shooting time lapse. I'm sure Canon cameras have this option. Once I set to lens aperture control, manual exposure and no AF, I can shoot 1,000's of shots with no flicker on a D200 and D300s.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 am

elellilrah wrote:

Also make sure to shut of autofocus when shooting time lapse. I'm sure Canon cameras have this option. Once I set to lens aperture control, manual exposure and no AF, I can shoot 1,000's of shots with no flicker on a D200 and D300s.

Sounds very interesting!
Thanks
Cheers
Charles

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 am

Hi veryone, I have a problem, maybe someone can help me.

I´m editing a timelapse with some flicker, I used gbdeflcker on AE and works pretty well, but the image looks like compressed, is loosing quality. I´m exporting with the same codec of the clip, Proress HQ. Is there something I´m doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:51 am

CEK wrote:
elellilrah wrote:

Sounds very interesting!
Thanks
Cheers
Charles

Thanks, will try the "manual lens aperture control" on my D300s when I have the chance to shoot in the day again. Currently using a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and found flicker to be quite a pain in day shots when shot at f/8 and smaller even after deflicker filter.

But wouldn't using a lens with no aperture ring mean that all shots would be done wide open?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Whats flicker? this is my first timelapse

is there any flicker?
(sorry if its sounds stupid)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 pm

did see a bit, particularly a large one just after 17 sec. is due to exposure change. in your case one frame was much brighter.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Post Re: Flicker, What am i doing wrong???
Hello, i've been trying to my own timelapses but have been having major flicking problems. im shooting on a nikon D90 slr, all manual functions, focus, shutter, iso, aperture, wb and still have been getting flickering. ive attached a link of what results im getting.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexuRUrT9As
I havent tried using any 'deflicker' effect on it yet. Is this normal then??? or should it be better than this? also would the flicker effect be caused by clouds passing over the sun??? i used quicktime image sequence maker for it. i use a mac and have final cut studio pro, i dont have adobe after effects so i can't use that GB anti flicker thing... can anyone help? Cheers

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 am

I'm afraid that is normal on Nikon cameras whenever you are not using max aperture (lens wide open). It is supposedly what we refer to as aperture flicker, caused by the diaphragm in the lens not closing to the exact same position every shot. I say "supposedly" because Nikons are significantly worse at this than Canons, and I am wondering whether a firmware issue could be involved as well. In any case, there is nothing you can do about it (other than shooting wide open when possible or using manual lenses).

As for post processing options on a Mac, here are a few choices:
1) GBDeflicker for After Effects (as you already know).
2) Virtual PC software + VirtualDub + Graft or MSU deflicker.
3) Chris Raezer's scripts for Photoshop.
4) LR-Timelapse for Lightroom (does not actually require Lightroom for deflickering).
None are perfect. You may get better results by running your footage through one deflicker filter first (options 3 or 4 above) and then another (options 1 or 2). Try your way forth.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:32 am

Thanks flyholm, i thought it might be a nikon problem. i tried aperture priority and that seems to work better and ill try those post options to make it even better. cheers

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Hello, I would like to invite you to test LRTimelapse, a free software that offers pretty good deflickering results. You will find a screencast tutorial an all explanations needed on my site and on the forum.

Thank you!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am

gwegner.de wrote:
Hello, I would like to invite you to test LRTimelapse, a free software that offers pretty good deflickering results. You will find a screencast tutorial an all explanations needed on my site and on the forum.

Thank you!

I did just that yesterday and I thought it was fantastic! Thanks so much.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:36 am

Hello folks, I think i have the Nikon flicker.. Please correct me if im wrong. Shot this with the D7000, Nikkor 10-24 at 10mm, manual; shutter 1/160, f/10, manual ISO 100, manual WB. Shot in RAW, batch processed to TIFF, imported as image sequence in AE, exported uncompressed/lossless, compressed in QTpro to h.264:

http://vimeo.com/22081606

Downloaded the GBDeflicker Trial and applied in AE on the exported flickery file (i.e. not the tiff image sequence), used default settings, got the following result:

http://vimeo.com/22092025

Generally happy with the output, but will test some more with the settings. I would be very happy with some feedback or tips to further reduce the flickering.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:45 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next