It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 am

Nikon NEF - what compression / bit-depth do you use? 

Post Nikon NEF - what compression / bit-depth do you use?
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum so please apologize in case I'm posting this in the wrong category.

For the last six years I have been developing a software that converts Canon CR2 raw files into either image sequences (like DPX or OpenEXR) or movie files like QuickTime. The aim was (and still is) to deliver highest possible quality at maximum conversion speed. That software has mostly been used by guys shooting stop-motion animation.
Recently I got a few requests to support Nikon NEF format as well. The stop-motion animation guys seem to be shooting 14bit uncompressed raw, because they are in a studio environment and have enough storage capability attached to their machines. However I was wondering about timelapse where you're often limited by the storage space that the card provides.

I don't want to make this a poll where we'll have a "winner format" in the end. Instead I'd like to hear whether you shoot NEF as compressed or uncompressed and whether you shoot 14bit or 12bit and why! I do understand that timelapse guys already have "their" specific software solutions that also deal with deflickering and other timelapse specific things. But still I'd like to add NEF support in a way that it can be of potential interest to timelapsers.

Olaf

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:31 am

Post Re: Nikon NEF - what compression / bit-depth do you use?
with big chips now storage is not as much of an issue

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:55 am

Actually I was thinking more about the increasing megapixel count. So the same size storage card gives you less and less shots with higher-end cameras.

However, it turned out that supporting 12bit and the various compression schemes found in NEF files was not too tricky. Now the last missing building block is to extract the color temperature (Kelvin value) from the NEF files...

Olaf

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:32 am

If it's of interest, when I shoot with my Nikons (D3S and D7000), I shoot 14-bit compressed RAWs. I do this for timelapse and studio work.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:04 am