It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:03 am

Hyperlapse and turning 

Post Hyperlapse and turning
Have the hyperlapse thing down, at least when it comes following a line or such....But I was wondering, I've seen a couple of them, that they turned...lets say down a road and suddenly turns left or something...How do people manage??

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Post Re: Hyperlapse and turning
Pick something in the distance off to the side you want to turn towards and track it as you go by. D1 made a special tool for this by attaching a telescopic gunsight to the flash shoe so he could get the tracked object in exactly the same spot in frame for each exposure.

Another way would be a telescope head or MOCO making the same amount of rotation per frame.

Or angle marks on your pan head so you can rotate by the same amount of degrees per frame

Or practice winging it and only show the best results.

Or shoot video, speed it up in post and warp stabilize. A vehicle, bicycle, kids red wagon, wheelchair or other wheeled dolly can help on flat surfaces if it tends to roll straight and can follow a wide radius turn which will both change direction of travel and direction of view simultaneous.

Adapt one of these or combine them to get the effect you want. If the road makes an abrupt right angle but you want the camera to start turning before the road bends, track something that looks like it might be a useful tracking target through the turn. Walk the path looking through the viewfinder before the hyperlapse run to see if it is going to work and adapt if necessary.

Or be creative and tell us about a new way you invent. Everyone is always looking for that new shot that nobody has seen before.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:22 am

Post Re: Hyperlapse and turning
First of all thank you very much for the tips......

Why would I use video, isn't it kinda cheating ?

For some reason I thought that during the turning one would burst a couple of pics then continue as normal, but during the editing one would "speed up" that section

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm