It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Sony A7II: why does shooting with a remote slow the camera? 

Post Sony A7II: why does shooting with a remote slow the camera?
A small rant, with hopes someone can offer a solution.

tl:dr: if I shoot a sequence on my Sony A7II with an intervalometer, it slows down the camera single-shot shooting rate vs. shooting with the shutter button.

Here are the details:

I'm shooting with an A7II and the camera is being triggered by an intervalometer (connected via USB, of course). For the work I'm doing at the moment, I need to shoot at a rate of 1 shot per second/second and a half, but I'm getting a missed shot every 3-5 photos or so (which leads to a noticeable jump in the final movie, making it useless). If I shoot by pressing the shutter button, I can shoot at a much higher rate than that, which I tested by shooting 20 or so as fast as I could press the button (single shot mode, not continuous mode). So it's not a buffer issue.

I have a fast 256GB card in the camera (Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC that I have confirmed as genuine). I've set the USB mode manually to "PC Remote" (and tested all other modes), no change in behaviour. The intervalometer cable has been modified to remove the focus signal, as detailed in Gunther Wenger's blog post. I am using fully manual lenses, autofocus and aperture are not issues. This happens with any intervalometer I test.

I should point out that the Sony timelapse app, while occasionally convenient for static work, is too limited for my uses (I'm using a Kessler SecondShooter 3-axis rig, and I need to use the rig controller to sync shots and moves).

This is very frustrating, anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop the camera from having random little rests (for no reason I can discern) when I have a remote connected via USB?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Cheers!

Chas

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:23 am