It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 am

Using flash and fast shutter speeds 

Post Using flash and fast shutter speeds
Like most people here, I generally use slow shutter speeds for my time lapse - usually 1/30th or slower. However, I'm planning to shoot some TL of flowers opening up with flash and fast shutter speeds - about 1/160th. You reckon this could possibly cause flicker? I'll be using a Yongnuo speedlight with a reflector. The reason why I'm using a fast shutter speed is to reduce the ambient light (I'm mainly exposing for the flash.) Just before each shot, I'll cast a shadow over the flower and surrounding area so that the flash will be the main, dominant light source. Unfortunately, one individual claimed that his Yongnu speedlight provided slightly inconsistent exposures shot to shot though I haven't noted that with mine. Regardless, maybe I'll run the finished TL video through a deflicker program / plugin.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Post Re: Using flash and fast shutter speeds
Brand new flash bulbs are usually fine for a few hundred shots. Then the flicker starts to creep in. There are a few things to do that can help minimize the problem:

(1) Let the flashes charge at least twice as long as it takes for them to report "fully charged" state.
(2) Use more flashes than needed and run them at reduced output power. The idea is that while one might be darker than normal, another will be brighter and on average it levels out. But for that to work you need to at least double the number of flashes, or better user 4 times as many.
(3) Combine 1 and 2.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm

i wonder how biolapse handles it he does alot of plant lapses in a spare room or similar i think. maybe he uses grow lights im not sure. how about a bunch of led lights perhaps, their not as power hungry as the old halogen lights. i been tempted to try something similar i'd be keen to know how you get on

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:08 pm

I did a long plant tl with my gopro and led light...i had lots of black frames..never did figure out if it was the camera or the led

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Chris Field, aka 'Biolapse' and previously 'Jack Ripper' put a lot of stuff on this forum back when he was setting up his plant timelapse studio in his basement. It's a few years back but might be well worth a search through the archive.

Kit

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 pm