It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:52 pm

How to remove aperture flicker on Canon EOS lenses 

Post Re: How to remove aperture flicker on Canon EOS lenses
DanQ wrote:
This is probably obvious, but after you hold down the DOF button while disengaging the lens, you can let go of the DOF button, right?

Yes, once the lens is disengaged you can let it go.
Holding the DOF button will move the blades into position as if it is just about to take the photo.
Once power is removed from the lens by twisting it off the contacts, everything in the lens stays where it was.
You effectively disable the AF and any stabilization as well. This can be helpful in that you don't wear out the switches on the lens by repeated operation too.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Antz wrote:
DanQ wrote:
This is probably obvious, but after you hold down the DOF button while disengaging the lens, you can let go of the DOF button, right?

Yes, once the lens is disengaged you can let it go.
Holding the DOF button will move the blades into position as if it is just about to take the photo.
Once power is removed from the lens by twisting it off the contacts, everything in the lens stays where it was.
You effectively disable the AF and any stabilization as well. This can be helpful in that you don't wear out the switches on the lens by repeated operation too.

Thanks!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice tip, I tried it, worked nicely. Now I just need to remember to twist it back on fully before moving my camera....

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:37 am

Antz wrote:
Yes it's a case of figuring out the best way for the shot you are doing at the time.

Typically for any long lens I'll use live view to get rid of mirror shake.
Shots with the sun in them I'll normally use regular shutter operation, or if it is low in the sky a high aperture if I need live view.
90% of the time I'll use the lens twist technique to minimize lens and shutter wear though.

I tried this on the 5D mk II, maybe I did something wrong, but the shots were over exposed.

Could this be a a lens twist that went too far?

Also since you said the 5D mk II is not prone to flicker, Is the lens twist still needed to save lens and shutter wear on the 5D mkII?

Thanks!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 pm

gautam wrote:

It should basically treat the lens like a manual lens. If it got over-exposed, it probably means you didn't have the DOF preview button held down properly while twisting the lens, and the iris opened up.
Check the exposure once the lens is disengaged to make sure it is still set correctly.
gautam wrote:
Also since you said the 5D mk II is not prone to flicker, Is the lens twist still needed to save lens and shutter wear on the 5D mkII?

The 5D2 is prone to flicker, but not when you use live view movie mode and manual exposure. The trade off is you double your shutter activations in live view mode, and in movie mode are limited to 1/30 max exposure time.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Antz wrote:
gautam wrote:

It should basically treat the lens like a manual lens. If it got over-exposed, it probably means you didn't have the DOF preview button held down properly while twisting the lens, and the iris opened up.
Check the exposure once the lens is disengaged to make sure it is still set correctly.
gautam wrote:

Yup, silly of me. didn't check it after disengaging

The 5D2 is prone to flicker, but not when you use live view movie mode and manual exposure. The trade off is you double your shutter activations in live view mode, and in movie mode are limited to 1/30 max exposure time.

Hmmmm... what would recommend for a long night timelapse? So is it a choice between mirror vs shutter wear & tear?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:07 pm

For a long night time-lapse you will be shooting with a wide open aperture anyway, so aperture flicker should not be a problem.
I'll still use the lens twist for night-lapse if I do stop it down slightly, as it saves wear and tear on the blades as well as the AF switch on the lens too.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 am

Antz wrote:
For a long night time-lapse you will be shooting with a wide open aperture anyway, so aperture flicker should not be a problem.
I'll still use the lens twist for night-lapse if I do stop it down slightly, as it saves wear and tear on the blades as well as the AF switch on the lens too.

Thanks a ton! very helpful.. as always :)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am

timescapesisfacist wrote:
............and if you are shooting a sunset, you will most likely damage the sensor as well.

Is there any truth to this?
Since the mirror is raised when in Live View mode the sensor is constantly exposed to the sun, increasing the risk of damaging the sensor.
Is that your point?

I've seen examples of lasers killing sensors and sure the sun is a strong light source indeed, but wouldn't Canon have thought of protecting the sensor from the sun? Don't the filter(s) installed in front of the sensor do the job?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:53 am

Soft sunlight low on the horizon with a high f-stop set (closed up) will be minimal light.
As a guide, if you can look at the sun without squinting, you are probably OK.
I'll still usually not shoot the sun in live view though just to be safe.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Antz wrote:
Soft sunlight low on the horizon with a high f-stop set (closed up) will be minimal light.
As a guide, if you can look at the sun without squinting, you are probably OK.
I'll still usually not shoot the sun in live view though just to be safe.

No Live View it is then.

Would a short interval timelapse with the sun in frame not be hazardous as well then?
Or does the mirror blocking the sensor for a second or two after each shot reduce the risk of damaging the sensor?

What is the shortest interval you would recommend when the sun is in the frame?

Thanks, Jakob

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 am

All depends on the situation, I pretty much make it up as I go.
I have done tons of shots with the sun high and bright in the sky, all with short shutter speeds though, and not in live view to keep the sun off the sensor between shots.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Antz wrote:
All depends on the situation, I pretty much make it up as I go.
I have done tons of shots with the sun high and bright in the sky, all with short shutter speeds though, and not in live view to keep the sun off the sensor between shots.

I'm awaiting a Little Bramper and plan to do sunrises/sunsets in the near future.
Haden't thought of the dangers involved when shooting at the sun until this thread. Thank you for enlightening me.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 am

Hi guys! I read this topic and found no info on the Canon T2i and the aperture lock trick. I own one and tried to do the trick, with an error message as a result. Does anyone know what to do to override this? I own an old Rebel XT and the trick works perfect, not the case with the newer T2i.
I'd appreciate some feedback, thanks in advance!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello ppl, I'm new to this forum, I tried to read all that is connected to DoF button but I don't get it.

I own Canon 40D, and only thing I have is A-DEP, but it is not push button it is rotating button on left, where I pick M, Av, Tv..
When you say lock DoF button do you mean on that switch, should I pick A-DEP when I try this trick with Lens rotating ?

And what to do after DoF Lock, can I switch to M and make adjustments, shutter speed, aperture ...

Thanks in advance.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 am

Vitchub wrote:
Hi guys! I read this topic and found no info on the Canon T2i and the aperture lock trick. I own one and tried to do the trick, with an error message as a result. Does anyone know what to do to override this? I own an old Rebel XT and the trick works perfect, not the case with the newer T2i.
I'd appreciate some feedback, thanks in advance!

If you get the error message it probably means that some of the contacts are still just touching, rotating the lens and extra millimeter or so will normally fix it.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:37 am

Kova wrote:
Hello ppl, I'm new to this forum, I tried to read all that is connected to DoF button but I don't get it.

I own Canon 40D, and only thing I have is A-DEP, but it is not push button it is rotating button on left, where I pick M, Av, Tv..
When you say lock DoF button do you mean on that switch, should I pick A-DEP when I try this trick with Lens rotating ?

And what to do after DoF Lock, can I switch to M and make adjustments, shutter speed, aperture ...

Thanks in advance.

The DOF preview button is the small one just below the lens release locking mechanism. Most cameras it is not actually labelled. Set your camera to f22 and press it and you will hear the iris in the lens operate, and your picture through the view finder will get darker while holding it in.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 am

Omg I never saw that button :) and yes its there, thank you very much.
In first post you said to Aperture we want, but to me you said 22, does it mean I can or can't change Aperture once I do it ?

I mean I think around 8-9 is my desired one, where my lens is most sharpest, so I would not go for f22 if I don't have to.

Ty.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, set whatever aperture you want for the shot, I just said set it to f22 so you would easily be able to see it operating to figure out how it works.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:53 pm

I' m new here so bare with me and suggest anything you think I might be wrong about .
[ I think a will put that in my signature - just did ] .
Anyway , I did the canon twist thing years ago and I really don't remember what really happened except my canon 50 mm macro jumped and kissed the concrete floor . I replaced it with the 50 1.8 mk I . [ Metal mount 50 mm ]
If you do the twist thing I would suggest putting a tripod mount ring on lens and screw a 1/4 inch eye bolt to it . Then tie both to tripod . I have the foam insulation things that go on pipe on the legs of both my tripods and monopods .
Don't get the wrong idea - I bounce between the 17-55 and 10-22 a lot - both are / take the tripod mount ring from the 70-200 . I have 2 filter holders on camera strap , one holds the front and rear lens daps , the other a UV and CPL or lens cap .
Edit - I just saw there were 2 more pages - if someone else post same thing = sorry , back to read other 2 pages

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:05 am