It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:29 am

Cranelapse 

Post Cranelapse
Does anybody know what I need to get to make my kessler crane able to do the cranelapses? I already own the oracle controller and the 500:1 motor. So what else do I need?

Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 am

Post Re: Cranelapse
scormack wrote:
Does anybody know what I need to get to make my kessler crane able to do the cranelapses? I already own the oracle controller and the 500:1 motor. So what else do I need?

I'd start at the top http://www.kesslercrane.com/cranes-jibs-s/100.htm

The Kessler Revolution head - if you want pan, tilt ,
then you'll need camera controllers, more motors, belts etc etc.

Talk to Kessler, they are great folks, as them questions and they will answer.

And a fair chunk of cash as well.

Hamish

Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 am

Tom Lowe did some cranelapses for his Timescapes movie. I think the setup was real simple. If I recall correctly, there was a string tied to the back end of the crane. A low speed gearmotor sat on the ground, possibly bolted to something heavy. The other end of the string was attached to a pulley on the motor shaft. When the motor runs, the pulley reels in the string and pulls on the back side of the crane arm. The crane moves straight up if the motor is directly below the crane arm. Placing the motor off to one side creates a diagonal move where the arm raises and the base rotates.

I can make you a small gearmotor with a PWM speed controller attached to a little box which you can fill with gear for the hike out to the shoot. Put rocks in the box for weight once you are ready to do the crane move. Kessler's would cost more but it would look very spiffy. If you can tell me which wires on the Oracle controller should go to the crane motor, I can make something that uses your existing controller. If you like to DIY, it would be an easy build.

Try just wrapping the string around the shaft on your 500:1 motor and running it at different speeds. You probably already have everything you need to do the shot.

Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 pm

You will need the shuttlepod motor mount to do this. Attach one clamp to the crane and the motor mount to the shuttlepod (which needs to be weighted down) or something you can screw it to. If you are doing a crane up, make the crane balanced perfectly. If you are craning down, make it front heavy.

Cheers!

Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm