It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Andrew's Aperture Drive... nuff said. 
Post Andrew's Aperture Drive... nuff said.
Andrew Curtis totally rocked my world today... He's been working on a concept that I've been curious about for a long time. Driving the aperture dial on a lens! It arrived today and I'm totally blown away with the craftsmanship. Tests to come soon! Check it out:

First test!! Absolutely perfect! F2.8 to F22 in about 30 minutes at sunrise... F22 to F2.8 in about 60 minutes at sunset [NO POST - NO FLICKER] (note: the very slight stepping must be caused by the h264 compressor. It's 100% perfectly smooth uncompressed)

HDR test:

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Post Re: Andrew's Aperture Drive... nuff said.
Looks cool.

I'd love to see more.

JJ

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Hey, that thing looks pretty sweet! Now I need my own...

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm
Morning test up! Perfect! Anyone want to debate aperture borne flicker now?? :)

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 am
Looks great! Glad it worked out. Seeing those nice aluminum pieces makes me wish I had a mill around here *grin*. Oh, and that's a hot camera too *laugh* Glad to no longer be the only Pentax guy around :D

!c

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 am
Another test up top.. This time trying HDR. ;)

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:21 am

Looks great!

I guess it needs an external aperture ring though? Ruling out most of the newer canon lenses?

Murray

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:04 pm

The new test looks great!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Does it have a hard time dealing with the aperture 'steps' where the ring would click into place at each stop? I'm wondering maybe that Pentax doesnt' have them?

Pretty dang impressive actually. How does the motor know what to set the aperture ring at?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:05 am
Michael Slade wrote:
Does it have a hard time dealing with the aperture 'steps' where the ring would click into place at each stop? I'm wondering maybe that Pentax doesnt' have them?

Pretty dang impressive actually. How does the motor know what to set the aperture ring at?

The 'clicks' or stops are created by a little ball bearing. I simply removed it from the lens (very easy) so that the ring slides smoothly.

I basically did some tests to see how long the entire range would take (f22 to f2.8) at a given speed. It turned out to be quite simple: 16x took a little over an hour so that's quite easy to predict. The part I'm getting used to is how long it actually takes to go from light-to-dusk-to-dark. Turns out sunset to dark is about 45minutes (this time of year at lat 42) light to sunset is about the same time period but the change in light is not so radical...

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:27 am

Wow, very crafty with the aperture ring. Looks very smooth for sure.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:20 am

Murray Fredericks wrote:
I guess it needs an external aperture ring though? Ruling out most of the newer canon lenses?

An existence proof: Canon cameras come with "EOS Utility", which can do remote camera control, including shutter, aperture, etc. I don't believe EOS Utility is useful for timelapse though, but some enterprising person can use (has used?) the free libgphoto2 and build a small program which would be useful.

But even at 1/3rd stop steps, you'd may still need to smooth off the exposure edges after the fact.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm

milapse wrote:
The part I'm getting used to is how long it actually takes to go from light-to-dusk-to-dark. Turns out sunset to dark is about 45minutes (this time of year at lat 42) light to sunset is about the same time period but the change in light is not so radical...

when I was shooting some timelapse video sunrises last week, I found this website: http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/us-country.html

it lists times and durations of sunrise, sunset and gives info for dusk, dawn and various other bits of information that can come in handy for planning aperture changes. it also has info worldwide on there, I just gave the direct link for continental US. I was shooting internationally when I found the site and it worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Jay and other experts,

I just saw that iPhone aperture drive video you posted. I guess I should've seen this coming ... I'd like to try and build an aperture drive to go with the bulb ramping intervalometer. The intervalometer already has a stepper motor interface, so I'd just have to add some code and build a basic aperture drive mechanism.

You know a lot about mating cameras and lenses, so was wondering if you (or anyone else) could recommend a specific lens that,

1) fast enough for decent astro photography - a 50mm f1.8 would be fine.
2) has a manual aperture ring that doesn't change extremely quickly as you rotate it - and can be modified easily for smooth rotation.
3) that can be straightforwardly/cheaply coupled to a Canon EF mount.

Don't let me down.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:59 pm
astronomerroyal wrote:
1) fast enough for decent astro photography - a 50mm f1.8 would be fine.

You really want a 50? I'm sure you can get into something a little wider...

astronomerroyal wrote:
2) has a manual aperture ring that doesn't change extremely quickly as you rotate it - and can be modified easily for smooth rotation.

They are all quite similar 1/4-1/2 turn. Be aware that there's a good chance you may have to permanently mod it!

astronomerroyal wrote:
3) that can be straightforwardly/cheaply coupled to a Canon EF mount.

your lucky in this department. It's easy to mate just about anything to the EF and there is cheap adapters abound.

astronomerroyal wrote:
Don't let me down.

Well, off the top of my head I'd maybe look into less expensive 28-35 range and adapt it. Something like this

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:31 pm

The 50mm isn't a requirement - just thought it would be easier/cheaper to find. Not bothered about the permanency of the mod - just as long as it can be done. I've killed a lens before, so I'm past that threshold. I'll browse around a bit and see if I can find a lens that optimizes all the requirements. A bit worried about adapting the minolta MC,

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=719074

I know this subject has been done to death. Just looking for a quick & easy testbed, without spending an evening searching the internet.

Thanks.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:03 pm
Maybe wander over to Huron camera (in Dexter) and see what they have hanging around in their case? Your right that a 50 would be easy to find and probably easy to mod.... It's just not that fun!

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:34 am

Looks cool!
But I am looking for changing shutter speed, not aperture.
Does anyone know that How I can control shutter speed this way???
I've seen Thomas Bethell's bulb ramping. Other than that, I have no idea yet.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 pm

choi wrote:
Looks cool!
But I am looking for changing shutter speed, not aperture.
Does anyone know that How I can control shutter speed this way???
I've seen Thomas Bethell's bulb ramping. Other than that, I have no idea yet.

If you want to precisely control the shutter inside a camera then bulb ramping seems like the only way. I don't even think the (Canon) firmware is designed to allow for arbitrary shutter speeds, without considerable reprogramming. Even if you do work out a clever in-camera solution there may be some hardware limitations, that, for example, limit your method to speeds slower than xsync.

If you want the ultimate in shutter control I would imagine an external shutter would be best. Something a bit nicer than this piece of rubbish, though,

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:08 pm

astronomerroyal wrote:
If you want the ultimate in shutter control I would imagine an external shutter would be best. Something a bit nicer than this piece of rubbish, though,

Ouch! Looks like Sinar shutter, hehe...
No thank you. I am not looking for that way. :-)

However, I am really impressed about your bulb ramping. Can't wait to see further development.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Did you notice the dates of those other posts? That was a while back. The good news is that there is a lens motor designed just for timelapse which is for sale right now. It plugs right into the Dynamic Perception MX-2 controller. If you own a Dynamic Perception dolly, you already have the controller needed to run it. It attaches to an industry standard 15mm rail system and fits any DSLR camera and any lens. It fits lots of other cameras as well, as long as they can be fitted with the rail system. We can also sell you an inexpensive rail system along with the motor if you don't already have the rails. The motor can drive the focus, aperture or zoom ring. Here's a link to a post about the lens motor.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4712

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 am

me thinks Sheikhuhussy is a spammer - just a guess

tt

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 pm

wow, guess so. The post I responded to is gone now. Thanks to whoever is tolerating my posts about the lens motor. I try to pretend its more like news than spam, but they're commercials for the motor. Wanna buy one? Come on down. We'll get ya a great deal.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 am