It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Bad reviews on TimeScapes on IMDB 

Post Bad reviews on TimeScapes on IMDB
i was reading reviews on TimeScapes the movie and stumbled across the one found below, then started to wonder what people here on the forum thought about similar reviews :?: (taken from imdb)

Nice technical demo, but not more, 6 July 2012

Author: Joachim Troester (imdb-4788) from Vienna, Austria
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

When the "movie" begins, the scenes take your breath away. This huge resolution, these beautiful landscapes and pictures of our night sky.

But after 5 minutes I realized: that's it. There comes nothing more. Just a technical demo of what is possible with high resolution cams. Even the soundtrack is completely uninspired.

I love nature documentations and I love movies like "Home" or "Baraka". Even when nothing is said and no story is told (like in "Baraka") it can be a great movie if the director has a vision of what he wants to show you. But TimeScapes has no vision or just is not able to give you a glimpse of it. It's just one scene after another and even worse - it just repeats the same motives over and over: flying pelicans, some valley, Joshua trees, night sky, same rocks over and over again. And then all over again from a slightly different angle. Mostly it shows dead things and rarely living things, animals or humans.

I am really looking forward to what this technology can be used by a visionary film maker. TimeScapes is a documentation, not on the scenes it presents, but rather on how the best equipment can not make a good movie.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Post Re: Bad reviews on TimeScapes on IMDB
I think I kind of get it, but why is it not as great as Baraka? I think its a beautiful example of the "timelapse movie" genre. Koyaniskatsi, Chronos and even Baraka are all great examples of this type of film. I'd say its as great as those films but showing off what 21st century gear can do (especially in the dark). If you don't like the genre, you won't be as blown away as people who do.

That said, I also think its time to do something with a story, or at least a theme which develops through the film. Several of us are trying to make a nature documentary about noctournal nesting behavior of sea turtles. Its not an art film at all. We are attempting to use Tom's award winning astrophotography techniques to record wild animals at night. This seems like a perfect application for this amazing technique. The beach provides a vast, open arena with the darkest skies on the east coast. The turtles move slow enough that their behavior can be recorded with timelapse using exposures long enough to see in the dark, and we have more of them here than anywhere else in North America. Interviews with sea turtle researchers will be most of the soundtrack, illustrated by our night timelapse footage of the turtles.

We're trying to get even more photographers to join us next Summer. Anyone interested can PM me. Probably asking too much, but it would be awesome if Tom could come and show us some more of what he's learned about shooting at night.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm

1)
It's 'just' a review: an opinion.
And somehow you or any movie can't please everyone.

2)
I haven't seen Timescapes yet, but I have seen Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka.
Where Koyaanisqatsi had a clear vision and story to tell about humanity overpowering/destroying nature (and moving on to space), Baraka had a much weaker story to tell (in my opinion).
It was a 'technical upgrade' and had a more 'antropologist touch', but it wasn't as compelling and moving as Koyaanisqatsi. It felt like repeating the steps of Koyaanisqatsi and the weaker Powaqatsi (or whatever it's called) with extra movement in the timelapses, but without a clear structure/story. (Maybe the emphasis on the visuals has something to do with the fact that it was directed by Koyaanisqatsi's DOP?)

One of my friends (also a filmmaker) always said he couldn't watch Koyaanisqatsi as a whole: he finds it too boring. Last week he said he thinks it's outdated.
Technically it isn't as 'special' as it was before, but I think the movie as a whole still passes the test of time. Just like 'Once upon a time in the west' does: outdated technique, less than perfect audio, but still a great story.

So new techniques and great visuals alone are not enough to make a great movie; technique should add to the story.
(Remember the impact of The Matrix with the 'bullet-time'-FX?
It wasn't the first time it was used: I've seen it before in a more primitive way in a musicvideo.
But it fitted the story of 'stretched time' in The Matrix and made a big visual impression.
Since then it has been used on a few occasions, but often it felt like a mismatch.)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:42 am

The guy on IMDB is probably pissed off he didn't create something as bad ass as timescapes. I think the video is revolutionary as is. Some people are just going to complain about everything. I mean how can a person complain about a perfectly composed shot of a sun set? It doesn't make sense!

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:42 pm

lol, bad critics are jealous, bittered by their own failure ;)
(Probably true is some cases...)

Sometimes it's really about taste.
I really like Solstafir's music. Others don't.
There are people who like Justin Bieber. I don't.
Are they wrong? Or am I wrong?
Or is it just about taste?
savoxp really loves timelapse (I bet everybody on this forum does), but there are still people who don't care about timelapse.
(But this seems not the case in this review.)

The reviewer seems to say that perfect shots alone are not enough for a great movie. It takes a story/vision to make it great and in his opinion Timescapes lacks not in beauty or great shots, but in compelling storytelling. Whether he is right or wrong doesn't really matter: he motivates his 'verdict' in a clear way. Some will agree, others won't. And that's the case with every review.

Don't forget:
In the end it's not the critic who decides whether you like a movie or not :)

(BTW,
Solstifar uses timelapseshots in their Fjara-video)

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm

I have not seen it, and to be honest it is because i was under the assumption it is just a really long series of timelapse clips. I hate to say it but that does not interest me a whole lot, what i would love to see would be a documentary chalk full of timelapse that shows a lot of the behind-the-scenes though, some of the challanges, technology, and the rest..... an have it chalk full of timelapse clips of course. I would imagine that no matter how well the timelapse clips are done, if that is all you are presented with, it will get boring.

no offence intended to Tom or anybody who worked on the project.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Chris, get the version with the extras. The "making of" and director's commentary are pretty much exactly what you're talking about. I can imagine a version cut together out of stuff from the making of, and scenes from the movie with Tom's commentary just loud enough to be clearly understood while Nigel's music plays in the background. I think I might have enjoyed that a little more, but you know what they say, "everyone wants to direct". I'm not a huge fan of the "Koyaniskatsi-style" music and video without much plot thing either. Its great for posting a few interesting shots on the forum, but takes more courage than I have to do a full length feature. That's coming from someone who is not the biggest fan of the genre. I bet Kubrick got similar comments about 2001 being too abstract and clockwork being, well, too much fun. Great directors have balls of steel. Tom stuck to his vision and Timescapes is one of the great examples of the genre.

So how about that "something different" film, the one which breaks out of the "music and pictures" mold? How hard would it be to make a short about the new resurgence in timelapse brought about by digital cameras and the Timescapes forum? Thats a great idea you've got. I have thought the same thing many times. There are so many good photographers on Timescapes, living in all sorts of different locations. If a half dozen (or a couple dozen) of us decided to share a few epic clips each, preferably with at least one "really advanced technique" shot from each with a brief explanation of how the shot was made, I think we'd have something. There could be an intro showing the basics of DSLR's, a basic intervalometer and the first bit about how MOCO is used. The examples sent by the participating photographers would explain the more advanced way its used in their shots, illustrated by their setting up video and the shots themselves. So this film would be about digital timelapse and MOCO. It would show how the tech has advanced since film, and advanced techniques made far easier with microcontrollers and laptops controlling the MOCO.

A totally different possibility would be something like the turtle documentary we're trying to put together. Its about the turtles. Narration will mostly come from interviews with sea-turtle researchers which will be illustrated mostly with night-timelapse footage of nesting turtles. Regular camcorder footage still gets used for scenes where the timelapse isn't appropriate such as researchers filming with infrared lights, hatchlings crawling to the sea, etc. We're still looking for more photographers to come next Summer if you (or other Timescapes members) want to do it. I think this would bring the timelapse to a larger audience and possibly stimulate some interest among wildlife photographers who have used thermal vision or those green image intensifiers because there was no other way to film at night.

So, let's do something different for a change. Who'se up for it?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

A little debate on the state of timelapse always a good thing . I have to agree with Chris I have no interest in seeing a large collection of technically excellent time lapse clips with a nice score . I haven’t seen Timescapes so I wouldn’t really want to comment further on that . I do think we get bogged down with the technical side of things sometimes with no thought at all to story telling or creating magic and awe . I must admit I am guilty of this I like making rigs and I seldom leave my yard these days to shoot anything a tad sad . Also cant think of anything original at mo
Anyway how about a festive 50 ! I used to be a big John Peel fan ( English indi DJ wiki him ) and every Christmas he had a chart of is listeners favourite tunes of the year . How about a end of year list of favourite timelapse . It may show the direction things should be going . My favourite so far is https://vimeo.com/35820201 Don’t know why just like, not much narrative but at least its visually sticking .
Still raining here been a very wet UK recently and I got bad cold so me just waffling to kill a bit of time. :D

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
I must admit I am guilty of this I like making rigs and I seldom leave my yard these days to shoot anything a tad sad .

hahaha
i just posted a video of a extention arm i rigged to chronos for forward movement. the whole thing is shot in my yard.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Have not seen the movie!

Still, i do observe an existing "underground" (if i may) scene where users post long videos consisting solely of timelapse sequences, along with music.

That is ok with me, and i intend to make some myself. However, i see these as purely training/learning towards putting these, at times - excellent sequences, within bigger and more meaningful films. A timelapse on its own is nice. A well-timed `lapse within a documentary however, can be just the right spice that heightens the course from "edible" to "michelin guide" ;)

With this in mind, i understand that mainstream moviegoers boo out pure "timelapsefests". Why wouldnt they? There is nothing of interest there for them. For us specially interested though... Keep making timelapse people! :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

imho Timescapes is timelapse movie not like baraka,koyaanisqatsi and samsara..they are just different that words cant describe

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm

So i just bought the film and i have to comment even before watching it. The most excellent distribution is impressive.

The number one error most independent filmmakers do even in 2012, is to print on discs and leave it at that. This not only slows down your income since its harder to purchase your product due to low availability in stores (usually none), but it also removes your art from easily obtained film history. I wonder how many important-but-not-financially-viable-to-print-on-DVD-in-2012 that has been "saved" by piracy. It is certainly not just a few films that can only be obtained illegally!

If there is just one thing one should do when considering distribution, it must be to make the art available for sale as many places as possible, at a reasonable price on the web (lower than physical copy) so that it is even faster and easier to obtain than pirating. The site "Good old games" (gog.com) is now a textbook example of this. It has based its businessmodel on taking stoneage games that have been available only as pirated copies floating around in the free internet for 10-20 years, made them compatible with modern OS and slapped a 5-10 dollar tag on them. The shop is highly successful, and even pirates condemn attempts at piracy on the sites games. The games have no copyprotection to them, and can be copied very easily.

Now, for my propably no longer suprising point: i am completely in awe at all the options and resolutions this film is made available in for purchase. Huge kudos to a filmmaker that is actually taking the customers desires into account and supplying the media in wanted formats. It is very pleasing to download 1080p film while i wait for mye bluray special edition to arrive! I sincerely hope this is a trend that will catch on :ugeek:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:46 am

Ever since Flaherty's "Nanook of the North" people have come to expect narrative story-lines in films. Some people can't appreciate works that are not in this form.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Jack Ripper wrote:
Quote:
I would imagine that no matter how well the timelapse clips are done, if that is all you are presented with, it will get boring.

Not for me. At least not in the 40 odd minutes it lasted. But maybe I`m biased. I can pick up Shiro Shirahata`s coffee table picture book on the Karakoram and get new pleasure from it every time.
I`ll do the same with Tom`s masterpiece. Well done sir!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Robwhite wrote:
Ever since Flaherty's "Nanook of the North" people have come to expect narrative story-lines in films. Some people can't appreciate works that are not in this form.

I know you probably did not mean it, but the way you said that last statement puts sort of a bad flavor in my mouth, as if people are too impatient to be bothered with a plot-less film.

its not the lack of ability to appreciate, but the lack of intellectual challenge of such a format. if it is not making my brain work, then my brain is wondering off and getting distracted.

Dont get me wrong, i really admire his work, it is far better than my own, and i wish i could travel around and do that stuff like he does, it must be a wonderful way to live.

it also inspired me to build Speedy, Chronos 1 and Chronos 2, and his work is also inspiring lots of other people to get into timelapse which is the reason i am getting 1-2 orders for Chronos rails every week now. Keeps me busy :)

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Quote:
Even the soundtrack is completely uninspired

Opinions about whether a story is necessary will vary, but in the above comment, he "completely" overstepped the mark. With headphones on, the music is completely inspiring. I often play it just by itself while I`m in the kitchen making my better half`s evening meal. I hate cooking and need something special to get me through it. Thanks Tom!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 am

Everyone has there own opinion.. The guy who did the reviews is wrong though :) i'd like to bitch slap him if i ever met him to knock some sense into him :)
The film is amazing, i don't understand how any of you Timelapse guys didn't rush out and buy it the day it was released....

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 am

When I watched it I was somewhat disappointed too. Like the reviewer on IMDB I felt like it was somewhat of a tech demo.

I appreciate all the immense work that went into creating it, but there was just something missing for me. There wasn't the same flow that I expected like in other non-narratives (baraka, etc). For example when the girl came in the bikini came on at burning man, it completely cut the flow for me. It was like (beautiful landscapes, stars, girl dancing in bikini, stars, landscapes), etc. I could understand it if there was more people shots in the movie.. but there wasn't. It just felt like someone though "I like hot women let's put one in the movie".

(Don't get me wrong, I love hot women, but it just didn't flow with the movie ;) )

To be fair it's been about 6 months since I saw it, so I'm going to re-watch it one night soon with my mate. I'm sure watching it on a bigger TV will help, but we shall see!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:03 am

Agour wrote:

Quote:
when the girl came in the bikini came on at burning man, it completely cut the flow for me.

Now you mention it, I think you have a point. The central theme of the film was "beauty and mysticism" combined. All the landscape work achieved that royally, as did the young Indian dancer, the young boulderer, the beautiful Indian girl in a state of ecstasy (oh, my, what a cutie) among others. Thinking about it, the bare flesh of the girl in the bikini clashed with that. Too much revealed. The mysticism departed for that moment.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 am

I think this is a really interesting thread. As with all technology at first we are wowed by its use. When Fox Talbot invented photography people were amazed by its ability to record images. it didnt matter what, it was the process that was important. In contemporary photography HDR and VR comes to mind. Initially doing something because we can do it, seems like a goal in itself. If you look at YouTube and Vimeo there are endless examples of people testing kit..... however after a short time you ask yourself 'why'? We know it can be done, so what? If a 'technique' is to last it needs to be used to do something of worth. Timescapes for me was an inspiration, in that it showed what can be achieved. But I think if Time lapse photography is going to be more than a gimmick it needs to be used in creative ways. It needs to evolve and be used to say something meaningful.

Cheers

Martin

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Toms work is

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

All of the shots in Tom´s film are totally fantastic and perfect.. no doubt but for me, I need some kind of storytelling or some connecting the images. Hence I´m making a non-narrative myself at the moment... is in post-production...

Iceland
2 years
37.000km

trailer here:

https://vimeo.com/32875007

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 am

Just finished re-watching timescapes, and I figured out why I didn't really like it.

There was no real emotional connection that drew me into the movie. The whole way though I was just calm and like "really nice shot", but nothing more. Of course for a non-narrative it's basically impossible to have a real story. But, it just felt a bit mis-mashed in places.

After about the 10th start shot I got a bit bored of milky ways and arches, I just wished there was a bit more variety in it.

That said, I appreciate the incredible amount of work and effort that went into it, and I truly commend Tom for his work.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:31 pm
Site Admin

When you are engaged in making art, you are extremely lucky if you are able to make a meaningful impact on even a small percentage of the people who might see your work. "TimeScapes" is such a strange, personal, esoteric film. I mean I was basically a guy out drinking beer and filming rocks. I really only made it for myself. That's how all this timelapse stuff started for me.. I was making little videos for myself to enjoy. In the end, I didn't try to think about what would appeal to other people; I only made something that appealed to me, strictly following my own interests. If others are attracted to it, then to me that is a great bonus. There was a $200K budget, so I was pleased to have the film become profitable so quickly, because Nigel got paid back, and it might help future fundraising efforts.

I completely understand that for some people, there is not enough for a story in "TimeScapes." It was never my intention to tell a story. I wanted to make a film that would allow people to tell their own stories. For some people, that might be possible given the parameters of the film, what was going on in their own lives and minds when they saw it, and so on. I guess in the end, the final edit I did was meant to feel more like a dream than a story.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am

Well said Tom

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I remember reading about this when you were just starting out, I found it fascinating that you shared so much of what you were doing. Not sure I ever knew, understood or cared what your motivation for this project might have been, all I know is that your work introduced me to the potential of great timelapse.

Your work inspired me to get off the couch and shoot some timelapse, which in itself becomes a very humbling experience. So despite what some critics may think and the eventual outcome of the debate over whether in needs a story or not, I see it for what I think it is, absolutely great timelapse photography.

I tell my kids this all the time, the difference between a good idea and a bad idea is that a good idea gets done.

Congratulations.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 pm

For me this kind of film is not about a plot unless you consider the world we live in a story to be told....which it is. I'm fascinated with the passage of time sped up. I was at Fry's the other day and on the big screens they were playing long clips of video and time lapse that were 30 seconds or more, some of it was Dustin Farrell's work. I stood there and watched in amazement! Sometimes I render a clip and loop it 10 times just to digest what I'm seeing. The bottom line is I'd rather sit in a big screen theater and watch the best time lapse ever done with great music and editing rather than the typical Hollywood movie. I speak from experience as my work has been used in the industry. Tom's work and Timescapse have been instrumental in guiding the direction of this niche. see it for what it is.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 pm

timescapes wrote:
When you are engaged in making art, you are extremely lucky if you are able to make a meaningful impact on even a small percentage of the people who might see your work. "TimeScapes" is such a strange, personal, esoteric film. I mean I was basically a guy out drinking beer and filming rocks. I really only made it for myself. That's how all this timelapse stuff started for me.. I was making little videos for myself to enjoy. In the end, I didn't try to think about what would appeal to other people; I only made something that appealed to me, strictly following my own interests. If others are attracted to it, then to me that is a great bonus. There was a $200K budget, so I was pleased to have the film become profitable so quickly, because Nigel got paid back, and it might help future fundraising efforts.

I completely understand that for some people, there is not enough for a story in "TimeScapes." It was never my intention to tell a story. I wanted to make a film that would allow people to tell their own stories. For some people, that might be possible given the parameters of the film, what was going on in their own lives and minds when they saw it, and so on. I guess in the end, the final edit I did was meant to feel more like a dream than a story.

Well said ! coudn't agree with you more !

What is the meaning of Art ? ........ http://www.artbycedar.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-art/ ..... enjoy :-)

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 am

Quote:
I guess in the end, the final edit I did was meant to feel more like a dream than a story.

Well Tom, speaking for myself anyway, you nailed it. And pushed me in a new direction, which I needed.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Movies don't require a "plot" to be worthwhile and beautiful. The traditional movie uses a plot to lead the viewer through a world of the director's making. TimeScapes allows the user to simply enjoy the beauty of the photography and assign any personal meaning that they wish. For me, the film was so awe inspiring I found myself choked up at times.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:34 pm

The first time that I watched Timescapes I enjoyed it but I wasn't over whelmed. A few days later I decided to watch it again to see if I missed something. I gave it my full attention. I listened and watched to see how well the soundtrack and clips integrated with one another (very well imho, if you know anything about music it doesn't take long to see and hear that the two are integrated very tightly).

I think I've seen it 10 or 12 times now. When I want to calm my mind and purge all of the mundane, day to day, tripe from my neurons I watch Timescapes. I don't have to figure out the plot. I don't have to wonder who's screwing who over or who killed who... It's just video of the world, slowed down so that I can see it's dance, set to music that soothes the mind. What's not to like about that?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

again all of the shots are perfectly executed, the cinematography is spotless... but as a full film, for me I need a little more variety in the time lapses, the thing I love about time lapses is the unknown factor, we all here on this forum experience this feeling as we scroll through our photos on the camera we all think, "oh my I cant wait to see this rendered in the computer" especially if the shot will reveal something totally unexpected, something only time sped-up (or down) will show. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the milky way, but by the second or third shot I know what happens, it will arc over the sky beautifully.. i like to see the milky way during different cloud formations, weather systems and even dancing northen lights(although i realize that its most likely impossible to see/shoot in the american south-west.) im lucky to be in Iceland, so I´ve been able to get results..

Piece

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Finally ordered that piece on BD, looking forward to its arrival...

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 am

I woud love to buy TimeScapes on DVD, I can't believe that anyone would write a review like that on IMDb. I think that's a clear case of not really being as into the genre as they thought. xD

However, I went looking for the Timescapes DVD....am I going mad, or did it used to be available direct through Amazon at the same price but postage-free? Ah well, when I have the cash to spare I shall just have to buy it direct from Timescapes, no bother. :)

My other question though, while I'm here - are there any other timelapse movies widely available on DVD that anybody here knows of? I don't mean movies that use timelapse in a few (or even most) scenes, but movies, like Timescapes, that ARE timelapse from beginning to end. Any?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:37 pm